Square D wiggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1971

When Square D was bought by the French, the original "Wiggy" patent for the Wigginton Solenoid Voltage Tester that they owned had long ago expired, allowing other companies, like Knopp, to make them. In 2002 all voltage meters needed to have Cat. III ratings for safety and Groupe Schneider did not want to invest in redesigning something they didn't have exclusive rights to, so they killed it. But other companies did go ahead and get their Cat. III ratings. Knopp is one of them. So you can still buy a "Wiggy" in the generic sense of what we all call a Solenoid Voltage Tester, as long as you accept the fact that although built basically the same as the original Wigginton design, can no longer have his nickname emblazoned on the front. Schneider retained the copyright on that name even though they stopped making the product. They could technically sue Knopp if they used that word officially, but they can't sue us for using it in the field. I still call mine a Wiggy even though it's a Knopp version.

Release the hounds!

I love my DMM, and I use it more than anything else. But a real electrician needs to know how to test for all circumstances and there are numerous things out there that will give you false readings on a DMM, whereas a Wiggy will show you the truth. I probably get at least one call every month from someone in the field telling my something is "leaking" voltage because they are using a DMM and showing line voltage through an SCR or something. I have them connect a Wiggy and it reads zero.

With a good DMM you can use for a majority of testing out in the field. I do however, see your point about using a wiggy in certain scenarios.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have a knopp wiggy but I think the point here is that you really can't really just on the wiggy. You obviously need another tester and the wiggy would be used in some circumstances

keith gigabyte

wiggys are good

wiggys are good

If You work in a plant with various frequencies such as 60 cycle vs 25 cycle the wiggy will buzz softly for 25 and loud for 60. That is worth loosing the continuity section.

ritelec

Quick share. 1990ish. Crawling in an attic and found a pristine brand new like 40 year old (or whenever they probably started making them ) wiggy. Made like with bacolite or something. Not the new plastic of my new sq d wiggy at the time. Very cool. Jumped out if the cubby hole in the closet. Stuck the wiggy in my back pocket. Walked out of the bed room and the leads caught on the door handle and ripped apart.

I suck.

Got stiffed on that job too.

Thanks for the info on wiggys in this post

kwired

Electron manager
You mean that the times when you did it you did not remember it when you woke up? :)
Yea, sure why not.

I did wake up one time after being nailed in the head by electric fencer for cattle, and wondering for a moment what had happened. Some of those run at 15kV.

Was messing with something on the ground below it and must have leaned under too far then raised my head into it. Don't worry next time I do something like that it will get turned off or grounded out which ever is easier.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I can not recall ever doing that when expected voltage was 120 volts or more.
You're a wuss....:D My father used to go into a 3 phase panel and test with one finger from each hand on a 3 phase panel. 208/120. He never flinched but I use thumb and index on one hand and I do it slowly. I only did it in a pinch

kwired

Electron manager
You're a wuss....:D My father used to go into a 3 phase panel and test with one finger from each hand on a 3 phase panel. 208/120. He never flinched but I use thumb and index on one hand and I do it slowly. I only did it in a pinch
Three buses to test in a three phase panel - did he have 3 hands?:cool:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I haven't kept track. Should I?:roll:
My point is I don't need to carry around a meter ... well over 90 % of my troubleshooting can be done quicker and easier with a solenoid voltage tester... and most of what I do is industrial control circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.