User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Bidding help

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bidding help

    So I just started a business. I have a Macbook Pro. First job is 4500 sq ft custom home with many upgrades going on and it's all mine. Property manager approached me last night about wiring 2 restaurants and a couple of other spaces as well. What is a good estimating program that is compatible with Mac? And what's it going to cost me?


    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think many are compatible with Mac.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    1,927
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bidding program is not a magic bullet. If you don't know how to do a bid by hand, you won't know when the bidding program is giving you a crazy number. Crazy too high, lost bid, crazy too low, losing money. You really should do the first six months worth by hand.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,466
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    6,042
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another +1. I don't know your level of experience, however it sounds to me as you're starting off with a custom 4500 square foot house. Even with a bidding program, that is going to be a trial by fire. There usually winds up a ridiculous amount of change orders with a project of that type.

    Even bidding on what you have now, any experience you have should be weighed carefully versus a bidding program. in the event that the recommended software is not available on a Mac, you can always buy a $300 notebook from Best Buy that runs on another operating system.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I had come to the conclusion I needed to do it the old fashioned way. Thanks for the input


    The house is 70 years old and I am addressing numerous issues at a t and m rate. However, I've got to put a price on a new service that I must design based on a new pool, outdoor kitchen, and new HVAC equipment. They have also approached me about pricing some jobs downtown. I was doing nights and weekends but if I get all of the house upgrades I'm quitting my real job and going for it.

    Wish me luck!!!! On a positive note it would be difficult to be more poor than I already am.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck, I hope you get the jobs and your business takes off

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    5,990
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blueheels2 View Post
    They have also approached me about pricing some jobs downtown. I was doing nights and weekends but if I get all of the house upgrades I'm quitting my real job and going for it.

    Here is where you need to be cautious. It a lot harder getting jobs that you actually make money on than just getting jobs.

    It is possible to get more poor than you are right now even if you are broke.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    Here is where you need to be cautious. It a lot harder getting jobs that you actually make money on than just getting jobs.

    It is possible to get more poor than you are right now even if you are broke.

    Agreed and thanks to this forum and ET I am aware of this issue. Normally I would be running for the hills but this client is doing all of this for the community. I’ve got about 10k billed on they haven’t blinked. Received 1/2 of that already. First bill they paid in 5 days.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •