User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: PV System Interconnection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    Is there something specific about an "AC combiner" as opposed to an appropriate panelboard or switchboard? Ive never heard of such a thing.
    There's nothing special about them, hardware-wise; most that I deal with are simply MLO panelboards. What is special about them is under which part of 705.12(D) or (B) (B for 2017, D for 2014) you qualify the panel busbars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there something specific about an "AC combiner" as opposed to an appropriate panelboard or switchboard? Ive never heard of such a thing.
    It's really just cost. I've used standard AC panelboards as combiners and I've used purpose-built PV AC combiners. I'm sure the PV BOS manufacturers would like it if people thought they were special now that the DC combiner market is getting much smaller due to RSS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pv_n00b View Post
    It's really just cost. I've used standard AC panelboards as combiners and I've used purpose-built PV AC combiners. I'm sure the PV BOS manufacturers would like it if people thought they were special now that the DC combiner market is getting much smaller due to RSS.
    So there are products specifically marketed as "PV AC combiner panels"? Or when you say "purpose built AC combiner" do you mean just ordering a factory panelboard that may, for example, be set up to comply with the 120% rule? Sorry to nitpick, just curious.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So there are products specifically marketed as "PV AC combiner panels"? Or when you say "purpose built AC combiner" do you mean just ordering a factory panelboard that may, for example, be set up to comply with the 120% rule? Sorry to nitpick, just curious.
    I try not to call out brands but I'm talking about products from PV BOS manufacturers like Shoals, Bentek, AmTec, etc. They all make AC and DC combiners specifically for the solar industry. Whereas Eaton and Schneider make a wide range of electrical equipment, some of which can be used in solar projects to combine things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pv_n00b View Post
    I try not to call out brands but I'm talking about products from PV BOS manufacturers like Shoals, Bentek, AmTec, etc. They all make AC and DC combiners specifically for the solar industry. Whereas Eaton and Schneider make a wide range of electrical equipment, some of which can be used in solar projects to combine things.
    Ok thanks, never knew there were pv specific ac combiners.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks, never knew there were pv specific ac combiners.
    There are, but I never use them if I don't have to because they are significantly more expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    There are, but I never use them if I don't have to because they are significantly more expensive.
    I've not really understood what they really have to offer over general electrical equipment. On the DC side it was hard to find equipment so they had something to offer but on the AC side I'm not so sure.