User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Construction Site Temporary Lighting in a Confined Space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamjamma View Post
    ...should I insist on keeping lighting and outlets separate on all circuits...
    And the other issue is how big of a deal it is if the lights do go out. Most residences, even at night, is not a big deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamjamma View Post
    I know you are talking about temp lighting here but... should all lighting be on its own circuits rather than allowed to be wired on outlet circuits, and why?
    IMO this should never be an NEC requirement at least as some sort of general rule. Only or specific situations, and even those should maybe be covered more by other codes more so than NEC. Such requirement goes against 90.1, as does many things already in the NEC.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TVH View Post
    We all know that on a construction site that receptacles are not permitted to be placed on a branch circuit that supplies temporary lighting (NEC 590.4(D)(1).
    QUESTION: Is it permitted to plug in temporary lighting into a standard (non lighting, receptacle) to supply temporary lighting for a confined space or other situation?
    In my view, I believe any lighting circuit should be on a separate branch circuit for safety reasons and I believe that Article 590 would support this.

Comments appreciated.
    The drop cord shown in the attachment has a receptacle for powering other equipment such as electrical tools and equipment. If this lighting unit is the primary source for light inside a confined space (vessel, drum, tank, pipe, etc. ) on a construction site then it seems to violate NEC 590.4(D) which prohibits any receptacle on branch circuits that supply temporary lighting on construction sites. Is this statement correct? If not please explain. I have seen many such arrangements on construction sites and have struggled with supervsion to ensure temporary lighting is provided on a dedicated brach circuit.

Electrical faults from other electrical equipment from other electrical equipment could trip the circuit and leave workers in the dark leading to other hazards.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trouble lamps, or fixtures like you provided a picture to, are not going to fly on a commercial or industrial site. They are a clear violation of 590.4 (D).

However, if said light is plugged into a receptacle, and that light is not part of the temporary lighting, then it is basically just an illuminated extension cord.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use all those lights you want, assuming they are otherwise allowed, AFTER you meet all "temporary lighting" requirements.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having "temporary lighting" isn't a requirement of NEC. How you install it is covered though.

Just my assumption but OSHA maybe would have general lighting requirements and situations that could be covered with temporary luminaires. Certain task lighting situations may not be part of the general lighting requirements and could be with portable hand held style luminaires.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.