User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: USPS Aggravation

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    38,837
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    What if I put it in a shipping crate and freight it via truck?
    There are millions of trucks on the road, sounds like they all should have USPS logos on them
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,264
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    What if I put it in a shipping crate and freight it via truck?
    See here for something from the USPS itself. More information than you probably need, but thorough.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,773
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    Well, that's the way FedEx does it. I don't know if it is still true, but every single piece of mail FedEx moves used to go to one, count 'em, one facility at Memphis, "When it absolutely, positively, has to be there overnight." That business model seems to work OK.
    The difference is FedEx is in it to make a profit, USPS is not.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,773
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by readydave8 View Post
    If I write something on a piece of paper and put in an envelope and pay someone to take it to someone's house (not mailbox), is that technically illegal?
    Not illegal. However, if you DID put it in the mailbox that is illegal and you could be fined. This sounds kind of weird but if you pay for and install a mailbox on a post at the end of your driveway (technically speaking) USPS owns it. Kind of like when you install a meter enclosure on your house, although you paid for it and it's attached to your house and you are responsible for maintaining it, the POCO actually owns it.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
    Kind of like when you install a meter enclosure on your house, although you paid for it and it's attached to your house and you are responsible for maintaining it, the POCO actually owns it.
    The POCO has rights to restrict access. They do not own it. The customer owns it and is responsible for keeping it in good shape and replacing it when necessary, along with the service mast.
    BB+/BB=?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Posts
    10,196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mivey View Post
    The POCO has rights to restrict access. They do not own it. The customer owns it and is responsible for keeping it in good shape and replacing it when necessary, along with the service mast.
    Here the POCO owns them. They don't charge for them. You go down and pick them up for free. That's for single meters. They do charge for larger meter sockets.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

    Marky the Sparky

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,773
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mivey View Post
    The POCO has rights to restrict access. They do not own it. The customer owns it and is responsible for keeping it in good shape and replacing it when necessary, along with the service mast.
    You may be right or we both may be. Usually in all cases as long as the service material is attached to your house you own it and have to maintain it. Here, in the PSE&G area you can pick up a meter pan at the POCO’s office and not have tp pay for it. The can clearly states PSE&G on the cover. In addition, in all POCO cases the actual meter is provided by and owned by the POCO.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    Here the POCO owns them. They don't charge for them. You go down and pick them up for free. That's for single meters. They do charge for larger meter sockets.
    Two cases for customer ownership that I see. One is for all configurations the customer buys the meter base meeting utility spec and owns it. Two is the utility will give the customer a standard meter base and transfer ownership or the customer can buy one that meets utility specs (usually if they want some odd configuration or included disconnect), but the customer has ownership either way.
    BB+/BB=?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
    You may be right or we both may be. Usually in all cases as long as the service material is attached to your house you own it and have to maintain it. Here, in the PSE&G area you can pick up a meter pan at the POCO’s office and not have tp pay for it. The can clearly states PSE&G on the cover. In addition, in all POCO cases the actual meter is provided by and owned by the POCO.
    Yes. I don't ever remember a customer owned meter being used by the POCO. Sometimes a third party meter might be used like a transmission grid meter owned by the grid operator rather than the local POCO.
    BB+/BB=?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •