Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ground Bar vs Individual Lugs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
    In the 2008 NEC, 408.40 states "...
    It hasn't changed since. Thanks for the code cite. I agree with infinity, can't tell if the OP shows a panelboard. But it would matter if it did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    I can't tell from the blurry photo what types of screws are being used, it's also hard to tell but that may not even be a panelboard in the photo.
    It's a fusible switch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xguard View Post
    It's a fusible switch.
    Even still it has instruction sticker inside that shows what grounding lugs to use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
    In the 2008 NEC, 408.40 states "...Where the panelboard is used with nonmetallic raceway or cable or where separate equipment grounding conductors are provided, a terminal bar for the equipment grounding conductors shall be secured inside the cabinet. ..." This does not indicate that individual lugs are acceptable for multiple equipment grounds. As a former NYC inspector, this would have been grounds for a violation, as well as the self tapping screws attaching the lugs. A listed terminal bar bolted or attached with threaded machine screws would have been required to correct this.
    Sheet metal screws is an issue if relying on them for bonding. So are machine screws if not engaged at least two threads or if a nut is installed on back side.

Quote Originally Posted by mopowr steve View Post
    Even still it has instruction sticker inside that shows what grounding lugs to use.
    Use of the mentioned bars or lugs in the positions designated for them is simple for the reason the combination of what you have was listed/tested per those instructions. You shouldn't need to scrape any paint, add additional hardware, etc. to use those combinations.

If you choose to use something else forget those instructions and do what NEC says, which may be scraping paint or adding a nut to the back side to assure sufficient securing of the bolt/screw.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.