User Tag List

Thread: emergency lighting test switch and charging indicator light

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

emergency lighting test switch and charging indicator light

No one wants to see emergency lighting test switches and charging indicator lights near their fixtures; especially in a pristine crisp white (maybe extensively over-designed ) space; I get it. I also get that they can be remotely located. (...according to Hubbell / Dual Lite's tech sheets for their remote switch/indicator devices #SPRTS, #RPSTL... "upto 50ft. from unit".)

I'm inquiring if there are any restrictions on "remote" and that "50ft."
    EX.
    - is that 50ft of cable length, 50ft of as-the-crow-flies distance, or 50ft along a route? (I presume the 1st?)
    - does the device need to be in direct line-of-sight with the fixture?
    - does the device need to be visible at all times?
    - can multiple devices be ganged?
    - if multiple devices are ganged, does there need to be location diagram (fixture-to-device) -or- other location key (what methods would be acceptable)?
    - are there any mounting parameters (ex: must be below 6'-8")?

with much appreciation in advance,
    mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting topic to investigate. Could you please post the direct link to specification which reads 50 ft maximum?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markjkubicki View Post
    No one wants to see emergency lighting test switches and charging indicator lights near their fixtures; especially in a pristine crisp white (maybe extensively over-designed ) space; I get it. I also get that they can be remotely located. (...according to Hubbell / Dual Lite's tech sheets for their remote switch/indicator devices #SPRTS, #RPSTL... "upto 50ft. from unit".)

I'm inquiring if there are any restrictions on "remote" and that "50ft."
    EX.
    - is that 50ft of cable length, 50ft of as-the-crow-flies distance, or 50ft along a route? (I presume the 1st?)
    - does the device need to be in direct line-of-sight with the fixture?
    - does the device need to be visible at all times?
    - can multiple devices be ganged?
    - if multiple devices are ganged, does there need to be location diagram (fixture-to-device) -or- other location key (what methods would be acceptable)?
    - are there any mounting parameters (ex: must be below 6'-8")?

with much appreciation in advance,
    mark
    I guess what would matter most here would be design. If I were involved at design stage, I would likely approach emergency lighting with a remote inverter. That would mean all emergency lighting circuits would be installed per article NEC 700.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a code requirement that test switches even exist?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMFOTP View Post
    There is a code requirement that the fixtures be tested. If you can manage that without a test switch you'd be good. I know some units come with the ability to remote test by lighting some portion with a laser pointer or other remote device, but I think they still come with a manual test switch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The test inspectors usually use is de-energizing the circuit(s) in question.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UL924 seems to reqiure a test switch so, i guess we are required to provide one...

"29 Test Switch
    29.1 Emergency lighting and power equipment provided with an automatic load control switching device shall be provided with a test switch, or provisions for the connection of an external test switch, to simulate failure of the normal supply. The test switch shall simulate failure of a single phase supply or each phase of a polyphase supply. Each piece of emergency lighting equipment employing a remote- or radio-controlled, light activated, magnetic, or other type of switch shall also be provided with a secondary dedicated manual type test switch on the unit"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UL924 seems to reqiure a test switch so, i guess we are required to provide one...

"29 Test Switch
    29.1 Emergency lighting and power equipment provided with an automatic load control switching device shall be provided with a test switch, or provisions for the connection of an external test switch, to simulate failure of the normal supply. The test switch shall simulate failure of a single phase supply or each phase of a polyphase supply. Each piece of emergency lighting equipment employing a remote- or radio-controlled, light activated, magnetic, or other type of switch shall also be provided with a secondary dedicated manual type test switch on the unit"
    OK, that seems pretty clear. However fancy you make it, it still needs a manual test switch.