User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Permits/Inspections for Oilfield work???

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Permits/Inspections for Oilfield work???

    I was wondering if anyone here does oilfield work. My question is how to I know for sure if I need some type of permit or special license and inspections if I am out in the middle of no where. We are doing electrical construction for new drilling sites and providing new service as well from local power company. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    5,990
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 918electrician View Post
    I was wondering if anyone here does oilfield work. My question is how to I know for sure if I need some type of permit or special license and inspections if I am out in the middle of no where. We are doing electrical construction for new drilling sites and providing new service as well from local power company. Thanks in advance.
    Will the local power company connect service without an inspection? I would ask before You get to much done.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,446
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with growler, but also check your code book and see if you fall under any of the exemptions for permits and inspections.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

    There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

    John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    38,837
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check with your state licensing authority (or any city/county authorities if they apply).

    No oil wells around here, but if there were they would require electrical permits and inspections, as the laws are currently written.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Grantsville, MD, USA
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your biggest hurdle if you don't already do work for the oil companies will be getting all the required safety training, and each company will have their own program, and most require yearly refreshers.

    One of our foreman that does a lot of work on gas wells in western PA and Ohio said it's the 'wild west', and seems to be a grey area where it's unclear who has jurisdiction as far as electrical inspections goes. I'm guessing the insurance company would be the most likely to inspect electrical installations on well pads, but those are usually periodic, and not something you would call for like a traditional inspection.

    If you're unsure, ask your customer, as they most likely have an entire department dedicated to permits and compliance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •