User Tag List

Thread: Permits/Inspections for Oilfield work???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Permits/Inspections for Oilfield work???

I was wondering if anyone here does oilfield work. My question is how to I know for sure if I need some type of permit or special license and inspections if I am out in the middle of no where. We are doing electrical construction for new drilling sites and providing new service as well from local power company. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 918electrician View Post
    I was wondering if anyone here does oilfield work. My question is how to I know for sure if I need some type of permit or special license and inspections if I am out in the middle of no where. We are doing electrical construction for new drilling sites and providing new service as well from local power company. Thanks in advance.
    Will the local power company connect service without an inspection? I would ask before You get to much done.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with growler, but also check your code book and see if you fall under any of the exemptions for permits and inspections.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check with your state licensing authority (or any city/county authorities if they apply).

No oil wells around here, but if there were they would require electrical permits and inspections, as the laws are currently written.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your biggest hurdle if you don't already do work for the oil companies will be getting all the required safety training, and each company will have their own program, and most require yearly refreshers.

One of our foreman that does a lot of work on gas wells in western PA and Ohio said it's the 'wild west', and seems to be a grey area where it's unclear who has jurisdiction as far as electrical inspections goes. I'm guessing the insurance company would be the most likely to inspect electrical installations on well pads, but those are usually periodic, and not something you would call for like a traditional inspection.

If you're unsure, ask your customer, as they most likely have an entire department dedicated to permits and compliance.