Ruff In Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
whats a Ruff-In inspection for existing commercial space where everything is already for most part covered? we mostly do residential new builds and some commercial maintenance. its my first existing commerical job. we are adding some conduit between floors and in exising ceiling tile. i know not all areas are the same but would you normally call in a ceiling or ruff-inspection or both? and would you install wire in conduit for ceiling or ruff in? just asking.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
whats a Ruff-In inspection for existing commercial space where everything is already for most part covered?
Whatever new work the inspector wants to look at.
we mostly do residential new builds and some commercial maintenance. its my first existing commerical job. we are adding some conduit between floors and in exising ceiling tile. i know not all areas are the same but would you normally call in a ceiling or ruff-inspection or both?
Either would mean the same thing when I talk to my inspectors. If possible I would leave the ceiling tiles out where needed to see the new work.
and would you install wire in conduit for ceiling or ruff in? just asking.
Could go either way. It all depends on the size of the job.

darkov

In my place of work ruogh in inspections are same for walls or overhead. We do as partials; walls only or overhead only or all, everything depends on size of the job.
Wire needs to be pulled out, but box open for inspection.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

electricalist

Here wall rough is bonding/grounding, strapping.
Then ceiling is support/strapping ,labeling on J boxes, with covers on all.
Final is panels labeled devices installed, emergency fixture checked to be working but not location requirements and basically a summary of what's new.
When I'm unsure as Mr. Dave said ask the inspector and or ask bldg engineer .

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
Anything that is accessible without having to damage building finishes is "inspectable" anytime after project completion.

Anything that will be concealed and will require damage to building finishes to see it is what needs to be inspected before the concealing finish is applied - that is what "rough in " inspections are supposed to be about. Some places maybe take that further by requiring conductors to be pulled, maybe even connections made up some may prohibit conductors to be pulled - for what reason's, I haven't a clue. Those are all things that are accessible after building finish is installed so it shouldn't matter, they just want to make the inspector's job a little easier in some instances I think.

growler

whats a Ruff-In inspection for existing commercial space where everything is already for most part covered? we mostly do residential new builds and some commercial maintenance. its my first existing commerical job. we are adding some conduit between floors and in exising ceiling tile. i know not all areas are the same but would you normally call in a ceiling or ruff-inspection or both? and would you install wire in conduit for ceiling or ruff in? just asking.

I would call for a rough-in inspection when you think you have the job ready for inspection. For this inspection it's a good idea to be there and talk to the inspector. He/she will probably want a ceiling inspection before any tiles are replaced but they may notice other things while the ceiling is open for inspection. Around here when you open up a ceiling you often find a lot of data and phone cables laying on the grid and the inspector will want those secured and off the grid ( extra work that's not part of orginal contract ).

In many areas these inspection reports go into a computer and must show a rough inspection being passed before you can call for a final.

kwired

Electron manager
I would call for a rough-in inspection when you think you have the job ready for inspection. For this inspection it's a good idea to be there and talk to the inspector. He/she will probably want a ceiling inspection before any tiles are replaced but they may notice other things while the ceiling is open for inspection. Around here when you open up a ceiling you often find a lot of data and phone cables laying on the grid and the inspector will want those secured and off the grid ( extra work that's not part of orginal contract ).

In many areas these inspection reports go into a computer and must show a rough inspection being passed before you can call for a final.

And extra work that you should have incorporated into the scope if you know it will not pass. Not all areas will make you remove those existing cables from the grid if you weren't messing with them in the first place, others it may just be automatic that will happen and you need to know and account for that.

growler

And extra work that you should have incorporated into the scope if you know it will not pass. Not all areas will make you remove those existing cables from the grid if you weren't messing with them in the first place, others it may just be automatic that will happen and you need to know and account for that.

I disagree, I am not a low voltage contractor and until an inspector requires certain cables be removed from laying on the ceiling grid it's not part of my job or any of my business. It doesn't even have to be me that removes said cables. It's much like patching all those holes that may be in a fire-wall. I seal all the holes I make but not those made by others.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

normally, you do rough walls before you two side them.
you do rough ceiling when the grid is in, before all the tile are
dropped.

if it is covered up, the inspector may take umbrage, and ask you
to uncover it.

umbrage is 'spensive.

J.P.

I have that same outfit.

If the job is in an area you don't know the inspector in, just call and ask they guy. That way you wont be guessing at what he needs to see.

Our local guy wants to see uncovered walls and the trimmed out job.

The state sometimes wants to see the CEE before the pour. Sometimes he just want to drink coffee and see if the panel is labeled.

No matter who it is they never want to feel like you are just humoring them.

1964element

Here wall rough is bonding/grounding, strapping.
Then ceiling is support/strapping ,labeling on J boxes, with covers on all.
Final is panels labeled devices installed, emergency fixture checked to be working but not location requirements and basically a summary of what's new.
When I'm unsure as Mr. Dave said ask the inspector and or ask bldg engineer .

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk
Same here but wire pulled

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.