Can 2 cables crimp in one lug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a.bisnath

Can 2 cable crimp into one lug?Is this allowable by the codes,of course the lug is to have the the suitable bore to have a snug fit for the two cables and not be slack.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I doubt there is any crimp type lugs for two cables.

Something like this will probably have to be used:

20t_l45_00_201308_600x600.jpg

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Can 2 cable crimp into one lug?Is this allowable by the codes,of course the lug is to have the the suitable bore to have a snug fit for the two cables and not be slack.

Normally I would say no. However, you might be able to find an exception to this general case.

In some respects you are not asking a specific enough question so giving you a specific answer is difficult.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I totally missed the crimp part.:ashamed1:

I thought OP wanted to put two cables into one mechanical lug.

They make ferrules for crimping two wires together but the largest I ever ran across was #6 I think. They are not really lugs either, and I don't think they are UL listed.

a.bisnath

can this be used for motor termiation?

can this be used for motor termiation?

When a motor is being terminated and the motor has 6 wires and it is configured for delta,3 pairs of leads needs to be arranged,can each pair be crimped into one lug?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
When a motor is being terminated and the motor has 6 wires and it is configured for delta,3 pairs of leads needs to be arranged,can each pair be crimped into one lug?
Can they? Yes.

Should they? Depends. Probably not, however, I have been known to do what it takes to get things running and not suffered any negative consequences.

Coming forward with some more details would be helpful.

cad99

2a33c11c351371a50641d5a898eded28.jpg

I have used these before when push comes to shove. But I put two under a lug if I have to get it working on the spot.

Living the dream one nightmare at a time

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You could use an in-line crimp C tap to put pairs together, then take the single tap into a crimp lug. It takes a special crimp tool for the C tap, so you have to weigh the cost of the tool against how many of these you are going to do.

cad99

Can 2 cables crimp in one lug?

Would not a Polaris style connector work. Or is crimp connections speced?

Living the dream one nightmare at a time
3eaec8a436c34cd24c74dba507fdc51d.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.