User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Circuit Breakers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Circuit Breakers

    Hi,

    I'm a relatively new electrician in rural Ontario. I've been primarily buying my circuit breakers online from canadabreakers.ca and amazon.ca but I'd like to cut down my shipping costs.

    I'm curious if anyone has solved this problem by buying breakers in bulk and if so, what breakers are you commonly stock piling.

    Thanks,
    David

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    LA basin, CA
    Posts
    1,924
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found these Interchangeable Breakers at a local hardware store - Ganahl Lumber.

    Don't know if they are available online.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	21769

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	21770
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tennessee NEC:2017
    Posts
    4,991
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome 87davidrobinson

    To all: remember this is the new Canadian forum. The OP is also Canadian. Some answers from us guys in the States may not apply in Canada.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    19,864
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting!
    Note that at the end of the impressive list of compatible panels, it notes that the installation is code compliant only if the panel specifically lists Connecticut Electric breakers (probably including specific type number) as compatible in the label on the panel.
    Among other things this means that those breakers cannot be used with panels that were built before CE started marketing the breakers nor with panels whose manufacturer did not bother to list CE breakers.
    A large portion of the "compatible" brand and model listings found on breaker panels are based on the fact that the identified breakers are in fact made by the panel manufacturer or a subsidiary or successor company and therefore it is in their commercial interest to so list them.

    I have no idea how a typical inspector would deal with them.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    LA basin, CA
    Posts
    1,924
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    I have no idea how a typical inspector would deal with them.
    Eaton also did this with their Classified "CL" line, and I believe the Connecticut Electric "ICBQ" line must have qualified with NRTL's in similar fashion.

    Over half the 18 compatible Brands listed on its package went away, got merged, or acquired long before "Connecticut Electric" made this model of interchangeable breaker. Never seen older & obsolete load-centers include "Connecticut Electric" in their labeling, and don't believe its required.
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    6,042
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to The Forum.

    To reduce inventory, you are going to want to buy breakers that you would normally add or replace. This can vary dramatically depending on the local area... Only your experience will tell you what you need to normally stock.

    I would not use those CE Breakers if I could help it. I do not do enough volume of work to buy in bulk.

    Normally, if I need an odd ball breaker, it will be ordered at the same time as the rest of the materials for the job, and shipping cost is absorbed into the entire order, not just a breaker or two.

    If you are paying high shipping cost due to location or time constraints, and shipping is the majority of the cost, you can always throw in a couple of other breakers on that order that you *might* need for another project or customer.

    Most of my breaker inventory is from panel changes where I order a few extra breakers and do not use them.

    I stock just Square D homeline, GE, and CH BR Breakers, from 15 to 60 amp. Stocking just one AFCI, GFCI, and CAFCI Breakers in 15 and 20 amp varieties in those 3 manufacturers would be $400 of inventory that will probably get beaten to death in the truck before they're ever used.

    I also keep a few fused and non fused 60A disconnects, fuses, and at times both 50 and 60 amp 2 pole GFCI breakers with enclosure for spas.

    All of the odd ball and obsolete stuff like zinsco and FPE, that's when those CE breakers come into play. I do not carry any of this around, for I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed to change or add a breaker in these manufacturer of panels.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    LA basin, CA
    Posts
    1,924
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Very interesting!
    Note that at the end of the impressive list of compatible panels, it notes that the installation is code compliant only if the panel specifically lists Connecticut Electric breakers (probably including specific type number) as compatible in the label on the panel.
    Among other things this means that those breakers cannot be used with panels that were built before CE started marketing the breakers nor with panels whose manufacturer did not bother to list CE breakers.
    A large portion of the "compatible" brand and model listings found on breaker panels are based on the fact that the identified breakers are in fact made by the panel manufacturer or a subsidiary or successor company and therefore it is in their commercial interest to so list them.

    I have no idea how a typical inspector would deal with them.
    CE Tech support confirmed this is a repackaged Siemens product, which explains a few brands acquired by Siemens, but other brands were acquired by Eaton. Tech support also confirmed Siemens must appear on load-center labels where this "Interchangeable" breakers is used, and the product has not been Classified or UL tested with any brands except perhaps Siemens.

    What use is it, if panel label must include Siemens? How many of those old Brands would say Siemens on them?
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    24,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsy View Post
    What use is it, if panel label must include Siemens? How many of those old Brands would say Siemens on them?
    I would look for the breaker type to appear on the label, like finding BR without finding Eaton.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Welcome to The Forum.

    To reduce inventory, you are going to want to buy breakers that you would normally add or replace. This can vary dramatically depending on the local area... Only your experience will tell you what you need to normally stock.

    I would not use those CE Breakers if I could help it. I do not do enough volume of work to buy in bulk.

    Normally, if I need an odd ball breaker, it will be ordered at the same time as the rest of the materials for the job, and shipping cost is absorbed into the entire order, not just a breaker or two.

    If you are paying high shipping cost due to location or time constraints, and shipping is the majority of the cost, you can always throw in a couple of other breakers on that order that you *might* need for another project or customer.

    Most of my breaker inventory is from panel changes where I order a few extra breakers and do not use them.

    I stock just Square D homeline, GE, and CH BR Breakers, from 15 to 60 amp. Stocking just one AFCI, GFCI, and CAFCI Breakers in 15 and 20 amp varieties in those 3 manufacturers would be $400 of inventory that will probably get beaten to death in the truck before they're ever used.

    I also keep a few fused and non fused 60A disconnects, fuses, and at times both 50 and 60 amp 2 pole GFCI breakers with enclosure for spas.

    All of the odd ball and obsolete stuff like zinsco and FPE, that's when those CE breakers come into play. I do not carry any of this around, for I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed to change or add a breaker in these manufacturer of panels.
    Thanks, that's very helpful!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    (44.057116, -123.103394)
    Posts
    414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsy View Post
    Found these Interchangeable Breakers at a local hardware store - Ganahl Lumber.

    Don't know if they are available online.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	21769

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	21770
    Ever since Connecticut Electric offered that Siemens breaker like that inspectors will accept any Siemens full size as a 'classified' interchangeable breaker. One of our guys keeps that exact package in his truck unopened for any an inspector whom asks to see it. I believe they do not include SQD homeline in the list. Watch out for duplex / triplex and quad breakers though they often have to be an exact match with the panel.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •