Trough to panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

gguadagno4130

How many current carrying conductors can you have coming from a trough to a panel. My boss says that it doesnt matter the size of trough or the pipe that you can only have 24 current carrying conductors and 10 wires. Is this true for the new code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jusme123

Occupation
JW
How many current carrying conductors can you have coming from a trough to a panel. My boss says that it doesnt matter the size of trough or the pipe that you can only have 24 current carrying conductors and 10 wires. Is this true for the new code?

24 CCC and only 10 wires :huh::blink::huh::?

How long is the conduit

Is it a spec requirement or is he siting code?

jumper

Wireways do have fill and derating requirements, but you seem to be okay assuming trough is large enough.

Nipples 24" or less can be filled to 60% and derating is not required.

gguadagno4130

We ran a bunch of bx cables and now we have them all hang down waiting to be terminated, we wanted to put them in a trough and then put some pipe into the panel so there is no exposed bx. My boss says that the new code says that it dosnt matter the size of pipe or the size of the trough that you can only have 24 CCC and 10 wires or we will fail the inspection. I dont see that being true because it will make everything look like a mess with ever bx cable being exposed. It is a surface mounted panel.

jumper

We ran a bunch of bx cables and now we have them all hang down waiting to be terminated, we wanted to put them in a trough and then put some pipe into the panel so there is no exposed bx. My boss says that the new code says that it dosnt matter the size of pipe or the size of the trough that you can only have 24 CCC and 10 wires or we will fail the inspection. I dont see that being true because it will make everything look like a mess with ever bx cable being exposed. It is a surface mounted panel.

I am absolutely clueless as how your boss came to this conclusion. Ask him to show you the code section.

gguadagno4130

That is what i said and he said he dosnt have his code box on him so i gave him mine and he says he dosnt remember where it is that he has it written down at the office.

Carultch

Wireways do have fill and derating requirements, but you seem to be okay assuming trough is large enough.

Nipples 24" or less can be filled to 60% and derating is not required.

Good luck trying to fill a nipple with JUST TWO wires at 60%. If you pack them wall to wall, you're only at 50% fill.

For any other number of wires, 60% makes perfect sense.

Carultch

Never heard of this rule. While it is a good idea to avoid overcrowding your wiring structures, this in particular isn't an official rule. Maybe a local rule or a job specification.

In nipples that are 24" length and less, you don't need to think about number of wires bundling derate. And, while it is not something I'd advise, you are permitted to fill nipples that are 24" and less to up to 60% fill. I generally would recommend trying to meet the sizing rules for raceway sizes in general, just in case the segment ends up being longer than 24". And it will fit much better.

In wireways and wire troughs, you do have something interesting happen at 30 wires. For 30 current-carrying conductors and less, you can ignore bundling derates. Once you put your 31st current-carrying wire in the wireway, you now have the derate that applies for 31 wires. 40% in the NEC, or where I live in Massachusetts, the local code overrides it, allowing a 60% derate factor at 31 wires.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Actually, the code recently changed to make more sense and relieve the requirements a bit for wireways. It used to be 30 CCCs in a wireway kicked in derating requirements, whereas now 30 CCCs in any cross section require it.

kwired

Electron manager
Actually, the code recently changed to make more sense and relieve the requirements a bit for wireways. It used to be 30 CCCs in a wireway kicked in derating requirements, whereas now 30 CCCs in any cross section require it.
For years I think most have taken it to mean at any cross section, but I suppose strict interpretation could have meant 30 total.

Status
Not open for further replies.