User Tag List

Thread: 200 3 Phase Service Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

200 3 Phase Service Question

I am taking on a side job where as of right now there is a 200 Amp Meter outside. It comes through the brick wall in conduit and up through an LB right into the main panel. The new owners of the building want to move the panel around 45 feet down the wall. Can I just install a 200 Amp Enclosed Breaker where the current panel is and then just run conduit in the work space and go to a new 200 Amp Main Breaker (SUB) Panel? Nothing in the NEC says I have to have that main service disconnect outside right? The main service disconnect would be about 3-4 feet inside the building.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Putting a new main where the M/B panel is now should be okay. Don't forget that you will need a four-wire feeder from the new main to the newly-relocated panel, the neutrals and grounds must be separated, and the existing panel's bonding screw or jumper removed.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind the distance you can run "unfused" service entrance conductors may be subject to local rules. In Washington, we allow up to 15 ft of raceway, and restrict the raceway to 8 wiring methods (no EMT).
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom, he said enclosed breaker, which is also what I meant by main, and 3 to 4 feet.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA