User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Generators

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post

I didn't realize Brazil made generators. I got to agree with Don's post.

Is there any reason to go with a single phase generator of that size, other than they got a good deal on it?
    They have one piece of equipment that draws between 100 and 175 amps with #4s running to it which looks like the max size wire that can fit in the lugs and they wanted a bigger compressor. (Insert pause to breath) The compressor came with the genset installed and ready to go.

I wasn't involved with the purchase or sizing in any way.
    Last edited by ptonsparky; 12-07-18 at 06:25 AM.
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIU, sales person told owner it will slip right in where the old came out.
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my discussion with the AHJ then went back to job sight. While talking with the manager there he showed me the receptacle they used to run the trailer while it was at the shop for small projects they could do there. A 4 wire range recept with a 50 amp breaker.

Me:: That runs the whole system?

Him: Yes, minus the two Air conditioners, but sometimes I might have to reset it a few times.

Me: That runs off of a 50 amp breaker. Why in the world did you get a 400 amp generator?

Doing some rough addition a 40 kw might have been marginal with everything going full load. Why the higher ups decided on a 115 hasn’t been explained, nor does it matter much other than the $$$$s
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post

I didn't realize Brazil made generators. I got to agree with Don's post.

Is there any reason to go with a single phase generator of that size, other than they got a good deal on it?
    Be careful when you say that condescending statement.

Brazil is third largest manufacturer of military aircraft. Generators are just a puny part of what they can achieve in terms of technology and engineering.
    Don't tell that to my portfolio manager because I've got some stake on the company as part of my diversified portfolio.

EMBRAER a Brasilian corporation ( Empresa Brasileira de Aeronautica) manufactures airplanes used by big airlines like Lufthansa, Air France and American Airlines.

In addition to aircraft they also manufacture agricultural and construction machinery.

The stock symbol that is traded at NYSE is: ERJ (by its symbol you can tell it"s a blue chip corp.)

The stock price as of Dec 7, 2018 stands at $21.06 right there alongside GM, Ford, Bank of America and Pfizer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post

On a side note this 1 phase motor is rated 208-240/480 volt. First I’ve seen.
    You've never seen a T-L irrigation machine with a single phase pump motor? 10 HP 230/460 volt is common on those.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    You've never seen a T-L irrigation machine with a single phase pump motor? 10 HP 230/460 volt is common on those.
    Nope. I was a virgin.
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by myspark View Post
    Be careful when you say that condescending statement.

Brazil is third largest manufacturer of military aircraft. Generators are just a puny part of what they can achieve in terms of technology and engineering.
    Don't tell that to my portfolio manager because I've got some stake on the company as part of my diversified portfolio.

EMBRAER a Brasilian corporation ( Empresa Brasileira de Aeronautica) manufactures airplanes used by big airlines like Lufthansa, Air France and American Airlines.

In addition to aircraft they also manufacture agricultural and construction machinery.

The stock symbol that is traded at NYSE is: ERJ (by its symbol you can tell it"s a blue chip corp.)

The stock price as of Dec 7, 2018 stands at $21.06 right there alongside GM, Ford, Bank of America and Pfizer.

Ive heard talk that Boing is doing some joint venture stuff with Embraer. Some speculation that Bong might end up buying them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does a 3 phase generator configured in zig zag 1 phase deliver less kw than when it is set up for wye?
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    Does a 3 phase generator configured in zig zag 1 phase deliver less kw than when it is set up for wye?
    http://manuals.chudov.com/12-Lead-Zi...Connection.pdf

According to document in link, about 50% of generator's three phase rating.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    http://manuals.chudov.com/12-Lead-Zi...Connection.pdf

According to document in link, about 50% of generator's three phase rating.
    Thank you. I needed confirmation. That explains the 400 amp 3ph generator with conflicting information. The model # wasn’t listed in any of the documentation.

Still glad I wasn’t involved in selecting the gen. Original had a 175 amp. This gets a 200. Not a lot for one that could see the 175 often enough.
    Tom
    TBLO