User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Seven Deadly Sins of Grounding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mopowr steve View Post
    ... the power companies neutral had come unattached to the service of that home. ... power from the neighbors home energized the domestic water pipe ...
    Did you ever figure out how the showerhead and the drain were energized to different potentials?

The more I hear about events like this, and the more plastic pipe that gets installed, (particularly in old work where some metal pipe remains) the more I think an equipotential grid and periodic testing ought to be required.
    Last edited by drcampbell; Yesterday at 11:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I didn't say I ordinarily run into this problem, I did say they sometimes are overkill on some things though. But if you hang around here long enough there are a lot of stories about inspectors that don't have a clue - my reply basically was if they are demanding something that I feel is unsafe I am going to stand up for what I think is right. If we can't come to an agreement after reading applicable code, his supervisor gets a call and is involved. They are human and no human is perfect no matter how much they think they are.
    Agreed. So, back to the original. Follow Mike Holts book since it won't kill you and hope the Inspector doesn't overkill the project on some non-code
    Grounding fetish. I stopped that fight years ago. Now, if it's going to cost me a lot of money, yes, my flag is planted right there!