Extension cords for heat trace/tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnybob

Hello again.
Our company periodically brings in outside consultants for to audit plant safety, and we had one 2 weeks ago, though I am just now seeing the results of the audit. One of the items that came up (and has before, to be honest) is using extension cords to supply power to heat tape. I asked the L&I (Washington state dept. of labor and Industries) representative about this on his last visit, and his reply was that it is not considered permanent wiring because of the seasonal aspect of the application.

My question is, is the use of extension cord sets to seasonally supply power to heat tape allowable, or not? We have miles of fire sprinkler drains and airlines the have to be protected from freezing, and it just doesn't seem practical to pipe in receptacles for every one of them. Can anyone help me with this? Code references maybe? Or is it a strictly L&I thing?

Thank you,
Johnnybob

iwire

Staff member
Here are the NEC rules, how your area interprets them is tough to say.

590.3 Time Constraints.

(A) During the Period of Construction.
Temporary electric
power and lighting installations shall be permitted during
the period of construction, remodeling, maintenance,
repair, or demolition of buildings, structures, equipment, or
similar activities.

(B) 90 Days. Temporary electric power and lighting installations
shall be permitted for a period not to exceed 90 days
for holiday decorative lighting and similar purposes.

(C) Emergencies and Tests. Temporary electric power and
lighting installations shall be permitted during emergencies
and for tests, experiments, and developmental work.

(D) Removal. Temporary wiring shall be removed immediately
upon completion of construction or purpose for which
the wiring was installed.

In my opinion what you are doing does not even fall under temporary, I don't see heat tape as similar to holiday lighting. I think there should permanently installed outlets using a chapter 3 wiring method.

Johnnybob

Thank you, iwire, I'll order a truck load of Bell boxes, and make a summertime project of it! Should keep me out of trouble for awhile:)

kwired

Electron manager
Hello again.
Our company periodically brings in outside consultants for to audit plant safety, and we had one 2 weeks ago, though I am just now seeing the results of the audit. One of the items that came up (and has before, to be honest) is using extension cords to supply power to heat tape. I asked the L&I (Washington state dept. of labor and Industries) representative about this on his last visit, and his reply was that it is not considered permanent wiring because of the seasonal aspect of the application.

My question is, is the use of extension cord sets to seasonally supply power to heat tape allowable, or not? We have miles of fire sprinkler drains and airlines the have to be protected from freezing, and it just doesn't seem practical to pipe in receptacles for every one of them. Can anyone help me with this? Code references maybe? Or is it a strictly L&I thing?

Thank you,
Johnnybob
Do you remove said heat tapes after every season they are needed? If not then I suspect they are not considered temporary.

Why not a dry system, for the sprinkler anyway?

Johnnybob

They are a dry system but still need low-point drains for nuisance trips/condensation that needs to be protected from freezing. And yes, they are removed every spring for inspection/repairs, and reinstalled in the fall. Thank you for responding, by the way, guys! I've ordered a case of weather-proof boxes and in-use covers, it'll give me something to stay busy this summer (as if I'm not busy enough lol)!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Note that if this is a fire protection sprinkler system, there are a number of specific requirements in NFPA 13, including some type of monitoring/supervision system for the heat trace.

Status
Not open for further replies.