Ever hear of Thomson Consumer Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyho

I was at a job today where the customer was having trouble with some of her switches. I had never seen this type before, so I figured we'll just replace them with regular switches. Open the plate and "uh oh, X10 looking switches. The device is made by Thompson Consumer Electronics and the numbers were a HC32WD and a HC50RX transceiver wall switch. If anyone has seen or heard of these before, it would be very helpful.

Rampage_Rick

Don't forget ProScan, which was their "high-end" line of middle-ground consumer ware.

If not for asian imports, I'd guarantee that TCE would have a virtual monopoly on consumer electronics sold at the big W. They pretty much did in the '90s.

RCA bought by GE (1986)
GE bought by TCE (1987)
TCE creates ProScan (1990)

active1

The Proscan brand superseded the RCA Dimensia line in the early 1990s after the purchase of RCA by General Electric and lasted into the early 2000s until it was dropped for the current RCA Scenium brand. Thomson SA has never manufactured or distributed televisions in the United States labeled Thomson. In 2006, Thomson Consumer Electronics licensed the Proscan name to ON Corporation, although they retain actual ownership of the name and logotype. The company's website is now http://www.oncorpus.com/

peter d

bobbyho said:
I was at a job today where the customer was having trouble with some of her switches. I had never seen this type before, so I figured we'll just replace them with regular switches. Open the plate and "uh oh, X10 looking switches. The device is made by Thompson Consumer Electronics and the numbers were a HC32WD and a HC50RX transceiver wall switch. If anyone has seen or heard of these before, it would be very helpful.

You could replace them with any modern X-10 type switch. No need for an exact match to a defunct product line because all the X-10 stuff is based on the same technology.

peter d

bobbyho said:
Do you think I'd be able to use Decora Home Controls. They have a little programming matrix that comes with it or do you think I would have to use actual X10 stuff?

I'm almost 100% sure that DHC is based on X-10 technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.