Good old up or down

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

I know this will get the big lock but what the heck. Yesterday, I went into the supply house. I saw another elect. I have known for years talking to a guy who is an elect. for a local hospital. I walked up and spoke to them and they were discussing doing elect. work in the hospital. The elect. from the hospital made the comment that when he worked for so-and so they turned all the grounds up on there receptacles because it was code and he could not understand how the hospital passed inspection with the grounds down. I then politely as him, do what? He said Yes, its code that the grounds be turned up. I then ask, which code? He then pointed to the counter where the code books were, and in a crappy tone said the NEC code book. Well the smart a** came out in me, I layed a $100.00 bill on the counter and told him if you can find it in the code book you will be $100.00 richer. This kinda made him mad, "I'm not going to argue about it" and out the door he went.
But I guess the whole point is this guy was not new to electrical work but he had gone for years "believing" some thing someone "told" him was code and he never bothered to question it or look it up for himself.

ceb58

buckofdurham said:
We done a school with all the grounds up.
Do you think some building specs call for it to be up.

A building spec. is one thing. The NEC is another.
By the way I saw a flyer that NC is going to take another look at the new 2008 code concerning, afci, tamper proof recp. and the 60 deg. rating of seu.

76nemo

I did some work in a facility that built airport runway systems. I had a guy sware to me that would be the standard in '05. That is what his professor told him. He told me his professor said that this would especially be true for GFCI's. This kid was one year out of two-year school. It was hard for me to say not to believe everything you here. I am not a professor, and not even close to it. I had to walk away and bite my tongue. He spoke of NEC term's, not specifically airport transfer systems:cool:

stickboy1375

ItsHot said:
A lot of people believe this is code! I think this has been mentioned a time or two here!!:grin:

I think its funny that people believe this... Art. 406 is not exactly a big section to find it if it really did exist... :-?

William1978

ceb58 said:
A building spec. is one thing. The NEC is another.
By the way I saw a flyer that NC is going to take another look at the new 2008 code concerning, afci, tamper proof recp. and the 60 deg. rating of seu.
Yea I heard the same thing that the legislature has sent those topic's back to the building code council and they have till Janurary 09 to have an answer on those items.

peter d

ceb58 said:
Well the smart a** came out in me, I layed a $100.00 bill on the counter and told him if you can find it in the code book you will be $100.00 richer. This kinda made him mad, "I'm not going to argue about it" and out the door he went.

I've done the same thing, only I've made the offer even more outrageous, like $1000 or even $5000 for someone to quote for me verbatim these phantom codes. I get the same reaction that you did....what a surprise! ;)

quogueelectric

peter d said:
I've done the same thing, only I've made the offer even more outrageous, like $1000 or even $5000 for someone to quote for me verbatim these phantom codes. I get the same reaction that you did....what a surprise! ;)
Please make me this offer because in every hospital spec I have done for the last 25 yrs they have always specd grounds up. I know the EEs are fairly sharp people and I dont think they are wasting thier time putting them in the specs for no reason. I am an installer so I dont really care what code I am following as long as you give me documentation I dont care if you bark at the moon and eat green cheese. For 5 large I will give you all the documentation you need. MOO!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There is an advantage to the ground-up position: Downward force on the cord does not pull the plug out as much.

windtech007

LarryFine said:
There is an advantage to the ground-up position: Downward force on the cord does not pull the plug out as much.

I was told if you dropped a metal object like a paper clip it wouldn't short the hot & neutral with the ground up. Maybe but it might.

iwire

Staff member
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.