MC Cable strapped to concrete ceiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crod2231985

Hello everyone new to posting but have been reading for awhile. Just so you know my background I've mainly done residential and decided change jobs to one that does more commercial and industrial after I got my lisence to try and become a better all around electrcian.

My new company is wiring a resturant and starting in the storage area with exposed ceilings and sheetrocked walls. I plan to pipe to the HR to a junction box in the ceiling close to top of framing, and come out with MC whip in to framing and loop out. Is there any problem with this.

Thanks in advanced
Chris

iwire

Staff member
Strapping the MC to the ceiling is fine.

You can pretty much run MC anywhere that the customer is willing to accept.

Exposed, concealed, up high, down low etc.

peter d

If it were up to me I would use MC everywhere. I know to many it does not look "pretty" and "professional" but it's fast and cheap and it gets the job done in a code compliant manner. I feel the same way about NM cable where the code allows.

tkb

peter d said:
If it were up to me I would use MC everywhere. I know to many it does not look "pretty" and "professional" but it's fast and cheap and it gets the job done in a code compliant manner. I feel the same way about NM cable where the code allows.

Yuck, I am a conduit and wire man myself.
MC for fixture whips only.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
tkb said:
Yuck, I am a conduit and wire man myself.
MC for fixture whips only.

What kind of fixture whips? Whips to movable or chain hung fixtures require stranded conductors.

Jim W in Tampa

peter d said:

I rather enjoy running pipe.

ibew441dc

From Romex to MC?:roll:

If you want to save money on installation time run MC.

If you want to become more well-rounded run some pipe and pull some wire:grin:

Ibew441dc

macmikeman

If you are running multiple runs near each other, like home runs to a panel for instance, try shooting some 1"x3" treated lumber 14" long sort of like trapeze , perpendicular to the runs about every 5 feet into the ceiling with a ramset. Then you can use plain old 3/8" jiffy straps screwed into the wood. Very fast and looks good when done .

tkb

infinity said:
What kind of fixture whips? Whips to movable or chain hung fixtures require stranded conductors.

I thought the same thing about chain hung fixtures and rod hung heaters, but cannot find the article.

I meant drop in fixtures, but you have a point.

What is the article?

tkb

macmikeman said:
If you are running multiple runs near each other, like home runs to a panel for instance, try shooting some 1"x3" treated lumber 14" long sort of like trapeze , perpendicular to the runs about every 5 feet into the ceiling with a ramset. Then you can use plain old 3/8" jiffy straps screwed into the wood. Very fast and looks good when done .

What about Arlingtons new MC supports.

I have tried some on one of my last projects and was happy with them.
http://www.aifittings.com/whnew64.htm

Smart $

Esteemed Member
tkb said:
I thought the same thing about chain hung fixtures and rod hung heaters, but cannot find the article.

I meant drop in fixtures, but you have a point.

What is the article?
Ummm... MC is available with stranded conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.