Required Outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

VleahyDE

I am working on a project with floor to ceiling windows that are, in some cases over 12' wide. Does the NEC require an outlet along this window wall? It would have to be floor mounted within 18" of the window. Per 210.52(A)(2) the window wall could be considered a fixed panel in the exterior wall.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I wish I could prove you wrong, because I think it's silly to require an outlet in a circumstance that would force you to put it in the floor. But I can't. So put one in the floor, within 18 inches of the window, in the middle of the 12' window. But be sure to get it inspected before the owner has the wall-to-wall carpeting installed. :wink:

tshea

An outlet is required BUT you might be able to convince the AHJ it is not.

We had a similar situation that the AHJ let go. House on slab, retrofit/remodel. All windows for 18'

He said one is required but seeing what is here I'll let it go.

We had a receptacle on each end of the windows as close as the framing allowed us to be.

Jim W in Tampa

tshea said:
An outlet is required BUT you might be able to convince the AHJ it is not.

We had a similar situation that the AHJ let go. House on slab, retrofit/remodel. All windows for 18'

He said one is required but seeing what is here I'll let it go.

We had a receptacle on each end of the windows as close as the framing allowed us to be.
While that was nice of him ,it could backfire.Should a new owner that knows or has a friend that knows it was to have one then some major problems could be created.As the new owner they could demand it brought up to code.Who will pick up the tab ?

Status
Not open for further replies.