Multi family dwelling public lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jugband1

I had a contractor ask me "What is the minimum height for motion sensors for lighting in the hallways of the common areas in a multi family dwelling?"
My first thought is that it is not permissable but I can't find anything stating that you can or cannot. I did see something requiring a manual overide but that wasn't specific to multi family. My fear is that the sensors may fail in the open position.

Anybody ever run into anything like this before?

Thanks,

Fran

peter d

An occupancy sensor by its very nature does not need to be readily accessible. In fact, it's prerferable to render them inacessible in a public area to prevent tampering.

peteo

You may have local energy codes which specify these requirements. For Cal Title 24, lighting controls must be installed according to manufacturers instructions, which would be NEC 110.3. Occupancy sensors in egress areas, lobbies, etc., must also be either ceiling mounted or accessible only to qualified service personnel. The NEC contains explanatory material related to 'accessible' in article 100.

celtic

Re: Multi family dwelling public lighting

jugband1 said:
My fear is that the sensors may fail in the open position.

Anybody ever run into anything like this before?

You might find a better answer in your Housing Authority codes.

For NJ, where I am, the HA wants common areas to remain lit IF the POSSIBILITY is there for to be come dark, ie a hallway/staitwell that would be darkened during a storm at 1PM....naturally, they want these areas lit when it is supposed to actually be dark (1AM) for egress reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.