Height for a Breaker panel or Disconnect ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisGS

Hey Everybody ,

The other day on the job , the subject of the proper height for a circuit breaker panel came up...Now I've had it in my head for the last ten years or so , that the maximum height of a panel is 78 inches or 6'6" from the floor to the highest breaker in the panel , and the lowest breaker to be no lower than 18 inches from the floor , and the same measurements for disconnect switches and meter pans .

I wanted to verify this with the code book , but I was unable to find any mention of a Maximum or minimum height ...I must be looking in the wrong place ,because I'm sure it's in there .

Can someone tell me the section and paragraph that applies to my question ?

Thankyou ,
Chris .

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
See 404.8 for maximum height ( note the panel itself is not an issue) and article 550.32(F) for a minimum height.

Roger

Last edited:

hmspe

Occupation
PE
roger said:
See 404.8 for maximum height ( note the panel itself is not an issue) and article 550.32(F) for a minimum height.

Roger

Keep in mind that 550.32(F) applies only to mobile homes. There is no minimum for equipment in/on permanent buildings.

Martin

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
hmspe said:
Keep in mind that 550.32(F) applies only to mobile homes. There is no minimum for equipment in/on permanent buildings.

Martin
Absolutely, but if I wouldn't have mentioned it somebody else would have, stick around, you'll see how it works. :rolleyes:

Furthermore, what makes you think the question wasn't pertaining to a mobile home? ;)

Roger

benaround

Roger,

It's taken me a couple of years,but I have to tell you that your comments

keep a large smile on my face. I'm not sure if it's a dry humor or style of

writting but it sure cracks me up.

While i'm at it your comments are always right on the money.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
roger said:
Furthermore, what makes you think the question wasn't pertaining to a mobile home? ;)
That's true. The question also didn't state that it wasn't pertaining to a pup-tent or a bicycle.

dduffee260

I have installed a few 400 amp panels that were around 90" in height. I don't see how they would be allowed to manufacturer a panel that size if it was not per code. I just remember being in a room with with an 8ft ceiling and the panel being almost on the carpet and about 2 inches from the ceiling.

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It's not the height of the equipment that matters but the height of the actual switch or disconnecting means installed in the equipment.

Bob on the left coast.

iwire

Staff member
hmspe said:

Martin

Very true and once the person opens the code book to that section they will know that. :cool:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
benaround said:
Roger,

It's taken me a couple of years,but I have to tell you that your comments

keep a large smile on my face. I'm not sure if it's a dry humor or style of

writting but it sure cracks me up.

While i'm at it your comments are always right on the money.

Thank you Frank.

Roger

dnem

bikeindy said:
When did bicycles fall under the NEC? I have been riding for years I hope I am not in violation.

That monster size boom box that's duct taped to your handlebars falls under 480 and you have to make sure you peddle fast enough to provide "sufficient diffusion and ventilation of the gases from the battery" [480.9(A)] since it probably has a couple dozen batteries leaking with every sonic boom thumping of the base.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.