Replacement Flourescent Ballasts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rarely post anything here, but I have run across something that kind of puzzles me. For years I have used Ideal 72B wirenuts on the lamp leads when replacing ballasts. Today, while replacing a 3 lamp T-8 ballast, I read on the ballast that the voltage to ground was 600 v. Ideal 72B wirenuts are rated at 300 volts. Luckily the ballast leads were long enough that I could replace all of the wiring to lamp sockets. Am I missing something? Or is there another type of wire connector I should be using.

As an after thought, I retired at the end of Feb., but still work part time when the company I retired from needs an extra pair of hands.

raider1

Staff member
I like to use these when changing out ballasts.
idealinsure2ge.jpg

They are made by Ideal and sold under the name In-sure. They are 600 volt rated and work very well on small conductors.

Chris

mdshunk

Changing ballasts is about the only time I like the Wago/In-Sure connectors. If you're buying a lot of ballasts, you can order them with the InSure connectors already installed on the tails.

mdshunk

peter d said:
I did not know that. Is there much lead time for that?
Yeah. About a month. You need to spec that you want the three hole InSure connectors if you're fitting them into old T12 fixtures, otherwise you'll get the 2-hole and you just screwed yourself.

peter d

mdshunk said:
Yeah. About a month. You need to spec that you want the three hole InSure connectors if you're fitting them into old T12 fixtures, otherwise you'll get the 2-hole and you just screwed yourself.

Oooops..sounds like you found out first hand?

mdshunk

peter d said:
Oooops..sounds like you found out first hand?
Maaayyybeee! Oh, and in case you ever wanted to know, two tombstone lead wires fit into a single InSure connector hole. Some guy told me that. ;)

peter d

mdshunk said:
Maaayyybeee! Oh, and in case you ever wanted to know, two tombstone lead wires fit into a single InSure connector hole. Some guy told me that. ;)

Yeah? I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks to that mysterious person who discovered that.

PeteOh

Ballast Question

Ballast Question

I am in Plant Maintenance. Very Interesting topic here. I did not get an '08 NEC yet but I understand that the new coce requires new Fluor. fixtures and ballast to have the push in connectord for the hot and neutral lines. I have a couple of questions. Is the new code for safety reasons OR is it based on the high voltage needs of the connector ?
AND: I have a few ballasts in one location that are repeatedly failling. Ive ckd the grounding etc. BUT I have used the Orange wire nuts on all the ballast connections. Are my wire nuts causing me problems ???
THANKS
Pete
PS I am new guy here

elect78

Pete I honestly dont think wire nuts could cause them to fail I could be wrong but if it were me I would check and make sure the voltage wasn't to high that is a killer on flour. fixtures also you could be gettin power surges that are high the other thing I have learned is when your bulbs start getting pink on the ends if you dont change them quick it will fry the ballast hope that helps and welcome im fairly new here almost a week and I have leaned a whole lot good luck

raider1

Staff member
I am in Plant Maintenance. Very Interesting topic here. I did not get an '08 NEC yet but I understand that the new coce requires new Fluor. fixtures and ballast to have the push in connectord for the hot and neutral lines. I have a couple of questions. Is the new code for safety reasons OR is it based on the high voltage needs of the connector ?
AND: I have a few ballasts in one location that are repeatedly failling. Ive ckd the grounding etc. BUT I have used the Orange wire nuts on all the ballast connections. Are my wire nuts causing me problems ???
THANKS
Pete
PS I am new guy here

The requirement that you are talking about is for the fixture to have a disconnecting means. This requirement was actually first put in the 2005 NEC with an effective date of January of 2008. Here is what this section says:

410.130 General.
(G) Disconnecting Means.
(1) General. In indoor locations other than dwellings and associated accessory structures, fluorescent luminaires that utilize double-ended lamps and contain ballast(s) that can be serviced in place shall have a disconnecting means either internal or external to each luminaire. The line side terminals of the disconnecting means shall be guarded.
Exception No. 1: A disconnecting means shall not be required for luminaires installed in hazardous (classified) location(s).
Exception No. 2: A disconnecting means shall not be required for emergency illumination required in 700.16.
Exception No. 3: For cord-and-plug-connected luminaires, an accessible separable connector or an accessible plug and receptacle shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means.
Exception No. 4: A disconnecting means shall not be required in industrial establishments with restricted public access where conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation by written procedures.
Exception No. 5: Where more than one luminaire is installed and supplied by other than a multiwire branch circuit, a disconnecting means shall not be required for every luminaire when the design of the installation includes disconnecting means, such that the illuminated space cannot be left in total darkness.
(2) Multiwire Branch Circuits. When connected to multiwire branch circuits, the disconnecting means shall simultaneously break all the supply conductors to the ballast, including the grounded conductor.
(3) Location. The disconnecting means shall be located so as to be accessible to qualified persons before servicing or maintaining the ballast. Where the disconnecting means is external to the luminaire, it shall be a single device, and shall be attached to the luminaire or the luminaire shall be located within sight of the disconnecting means.

As for the orange wire nuts being a couse for ballast failure I would highly doubt that they would be the cause.

By the way welcome to the forum.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.