Question on price for service upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishRugger

I'm bidding a service upgrade for a bar/restaruant from 150 amp to 400 amp. will be adding new circuit for electic range, new circuit fo 10,000 watt electric furnace and adding six new circuits to service 12 new gfci protected duplex receptacles. All new circuits run in conduit on surface of finished sheet-rocked walls For the whole lot I came up with $6500 . does that sound like I'm in the ballpark. I'm using National Estimator.

mdshunk

3 phase, single phase? 480? overhead or underground? outdoors or indoors? Bunches and bunches of missing information.

What will it cost you for the material, and how long will it take you to do?

satcom

IrishRugger said:
does that sound like I'm in the ballpark. I'm using National Estimator.

In the ballpark? , with that price i think you may be in fantasy land. As Marc noted, more information will help.

Last edited:

Rewire

IrishRugger said:
I'm bidding a service upgrade for a bar/restaruant from 150 amp to 400 amp. will be adding new circuit for electic range, new circuit fo 10,000 watt electric furnace and adding six new circuits to service 12 new gfci protected duplex receptacles. All new circuits run in conduit on surface of finished sheet-rocked walls For the whole lot I came up with $6500 . does that sound like I'm in the ballpark. I'm using National Estimator.
Did you add for mobilization ,demobilization,cleanup and supervision? Our last 400A service was 8500.00 and that was just the service.

bikeindy

I'd say you might be in the ball park, but you're at the top of the stadium wall thinking about jumping onto the pavement below. Think it will hurt?

IrishRugger

Sorry about the missing information this is an upgrade of a overhead 150 amp single phase 240V service to an overhead 400 amp single phase 240V service, with the addition of some new circuits as stated in my previous post. Cost of Materials is about $3000 and National estimator said it should take 74 manhours. Indoors

Last edited:

Sparky555

I did a 400A underground residential service upgrade with two interior distribution panels two years ago for $6k w/o any interior circuits, so no, you're not in the ballpark.

Dave

bikeindy

IrishRugger said:
Sorry about the missing information this is an upgrade of a overhead 150 amp single phase 240V service to an overhead 400 amp single phase 240V service, with the addition of some new circuits as stated in my previous post. Cost of Materials is about $3000 and National estimator said it should take 74 manhours. Indoors

So you are charging $45 per man hour on this job? How do you plan to pay your overhead? I think you need to be at about $10,000 minimum from what you tell us.

IrishRugger

I greatly appreciate all of your input and suggestions. My gut feeling is that this price is way under what is needed to cover my cost of operating and ability to make a profit. I have read several previous and recent posts regarding labor and material markup in order to have a profitable company. My point is here that I am afraid that this customer will baulk at this price and run to my competition with it and even show them my proposal. This does happen on occasion and I hate being under cut in that manner. I'm truly considering reworking this proposal before sending it off. Re working it so that If I am awarded the job I'll make money. I just don't know how my competition can under cut me and still remain in business.

jmsbrush

IrishRugger said:
I greatly appreciate all of your input and suggestions. My gut feeling is that this price is way under what is needed to cover my cost of operating and ability to make a profit. I have read several previous and recent posts regarding labor and material markup in order to have a profitable company. My point is here that I am afraid that this customer will baulk at this price and run to my competition with it and even show them my proposal. This does happen on occasion and I hate being under cut in that manner. I'm truly considering reworking this proposal before sending it off. Re working it so that If I am awarded the job I'll make money. I just don't know how my competition can under cut me and still remain in business.
Irish answer some of those questions I asked so I can help you brother

Sparky555

Pick a stress. Either worry about the competition, or worry about making a profit. Personally, I prefer to worry about making a profit.

Dave

Buck Parrish

This is a topic I wish we discussed more often. And obviously I wish we could all be on the same page.
Ever gone to the dentist for a root canal, bridge or caps. It's amazing they are almost always charging with in $100 dollars of each other. How do they do it?
Perhaps we need to join our local electrical contractors association.
I don't know what the answer is. But I have people ask me how long it took to become an electic contractor. I say well I could have been a brain surgeon by now. In fairness they are probably stll learning , too.

I guess it is the variations, that is why every body is asking the op for more details.
In my area $6500 is definitely in the ball park. Because of all the hacks. We could have it done in two days. 2 1/2 , I would have to spend the day before we started getting all the material together.

Last edited:

quogueelectric

I would adjust the number to 9000 and give it a whirl. The service alone is about 5k by me with a trans s cabinet and I figured about 4k for the interior work.

IrishRugger

jmsbrush said:
Irish answer some of those questions I asked so I can help you brother

The additional circuits are about 30 to 40 feet away. We don't have to worry about a CT Cabinet Utility will take care of that.

jmsbrush

IrishRugger said:
The additional circuits are about 30 to 40 feet away. We don't have to worry about a CT Cabinet Utility will take care of that.
Irish, Here are my numbers, $4100.00 For the service Thats only if not much svc conductor is being used, and $3343 For the branch ckts.
Total = $7443.00
I think you're labor is a little High, as mentioned earlier, 2 to 2.5 days with 2 guys. Depending on what kind of obstacles you face with the Emt,
I'm sure I will get bashed on my prices but thats what I would charge. Hope it helps.

IrishRugger

Thanks again for all your input and advice I will check in later for more posts and then sleep on it and review and then submit my proposal in the AM. This Forum is a great thing its nice to have real people willing to give advice

satcom

jmsbrush said:
How far away are all the circuits, How much wire is involved in the Service, Do you have to put up a ct cabinet or is there one at the Utility?

Why would there be a CT for a 400A Single phase? The meter will usually be rated 360A

Status
Not open for further replies.