MC cable entering electric closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYC Elect

When entering an ec through a wall, does MC cable have to go through a sleeve or can it just be poked through a hole in the wall...

Joe Villani

The MC I typically buy comes with a tag that states it is rated for penetration through a fire wall.

However, I would seal around the cable with an approved fire stop.

Joe Villani
Electrical Contractor
Junior Inspector

mdshunk

That gets into fire code, I guess. I've managed to get by all these years by just fire caulking around the cable, but I have had intumescent pipe sleeve assemblies spec'd on some prints.

I thought anytime you penetrate a rate esembly it had to have details? For the most part mc needs at least a 1/4 annular space min, fill the thickness of what your penetrating and a 1/4" bead on the surface. This isnt all and its for 1 cable, but most 3m, firestop, hilty, chalks thats the detail. A detail is required in our juresdiction.

celtic

Joe Villani said:
The MC I typically buy comes with a tag that states it is rated for penetration through a fire wall.

However, I would seal around the cable with an approved fire stop.

Joe Villani
Electrical Contractor
Junior Inspector

It's all well and good that the MC is rated, but what about the penetration you just made?

"Would" is not a substiute for "must".

The penetration has to be sealed in such away to keep the rating( 1,2 etc hour) of the wall, floor ceiling assembly etc. Details are needed. Theres no other way to insure this. UL tests material i.e. Hilty, 3m and such and each manufactor has a listed tested detail of how there material is to be used to keep up the rating.

dcspector

IBC 712.3.1.2 Through penetrations shall be protected by an approved penetration firestop system installed and tested in accordance with ASTM E 814 or UL 1479, with a minimum positive pressure differential of 0.01 inch of water and shall have an F rating of not less than the required fire resistance rating of the wall penetrated.......with all that quoted Hilti makes a good product. Has anyone seen and or used a firestop that is brown in color? if so who makes this?...... Just curious.

celtic

dcspector said:
Has anyone seen and or used a firestop that is brown in color? if so who makes this?...... Just curious.

I haven't seen brown, usually the red stuff, but just recently I saw some grey fire stopping - at least I am assumming it is fire stopping based on it's location and comparing it to other similar locations on the same jobsite.

Status
Not open for further replies.