Cord application for a dishwasher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Towzzer

I was curious what the jacket of a cord for a dishwasher has to be protected from, water and oil or just water. I ask this because i've seen tool replacement cords that are sjtw (i think) with molded plugs that are cheaper than getting SJOOW and an end.

paul

The 6ft long grey cords with the molded angle plug always worked for me. It shouldn't be considered a wet location, nor should oil be getting on the cord under normal circumstances.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Paul. This would only be a wet location if you installed the cord on the inside of the dishwasher.;)

422.16(A)(2)
...shall be permitted to be cord-and-plug connected with a flexible cord identified as suitable for the purpose in the installation instructions of the appliance manufacturer...

Take a look at the installation instructions of the dishwasher and it will state what cord type to use. The cord is not permitted to be longer than 4 feet.

hillbilly

Pierre C Belarge said:
422.16(A)(2)

The cord is not permitted to be longer than 4 feet.

That 4' dimension is from the "face of the attachment plug to the plane of the rear of the appliance" [422.16(B)(2)]. This (IMO) allows the cord to be as long as necessary to attach to the JB on the dishwasher, be routed under (or around) the dishwasher and still have 4' left from the rear to reach the receptacle. Usually, that's about 6' total length.
steve

Davis9

hillbilly said:
That 4' dimension is from the "face of the attachment plug to the plane of the rear of the appliance" [422.16(B)(2)]. This (IMO) allows the cord to be as long as necessary to attach to the JB on the dishwasher, be routed under (or around) the dishwasher and still have 4' left from the rear to reach the receptacle. Usually, that's about 6' total length.
steve

That's a good catch, I've used it as well.

Tom

It is usually much cheaper to buy a cord assembly than building a cord assembly.

iwire

Staff member
As ridiculous as it sounds to me, it seems UL feels if a cord is added in the field it must be a cord supplied by the manufacturer of the dishwasher.

No using a 'generic' Home Depot appliance cord, no making a cord out of parts etc.

I wonder if they want the same thing from Ranges and Dryers?

See this info that cpal provided.

FYI

celtic

iwire said:
As ridiculous as it sounds to me, it seems UL feels if a cord is added in the field it must be a cord supplied by the manufacturer of the dishwasher.

No using a 'generic' Home Depot appliance cord, no making a cord out of parts etc.

I wonder if they want the same thing from Ranges and Dryers?

See this info that cpal provided.

FYI

I didn't see where it said the cord must/shall be supplied by the manufc. - did I miss it?

stickboy1375

7.3.1A Where the installation instructions for a built-in dishwasher specifies
that the appliance is able to be connected by means of a power-supply cord
not already attached to the appliance by the manufacturer, the instructions
shall specify that a power-supply cord kit marked for use with dishwashers
shall be used. The cord kit shall comply wi th Clause 25.2A. The part or model
number of the power-supply cord kit shall be included in the appliance
installation instructions.

25.2A.1 A power-supply cord kit intended for the installation of an
undercounter or built-in dishwasher shall include the following:
a) power-supp ly cord, strain-relief means, and push-back relief that complies
with Clause 25.2;
b) a part or model number marked on the power-supply cord kit package, or
in the kit installation instructions;
c) installation instructions; and
d) grounding instructions in accordance with Clause 7.2.2.4(a).

celtic

I just read a few pdf's for DW installations...each manufac. DOES show a (different) part number for the cord.

celtic

Well, it was either do something to "enhance my electrical knowledge" or wade in the shallow end of the 'net :D :D

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Just give us enough cord and we will hang our selves. I use the flat grey ones and keeo about 6 on the truck all the time. Thanks for bursting my little bubble.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
stickboy1375 said:
I don't think I would use a flat cord...

why not ? when we go to the supply house and ask for an " appliance cord" thats what we get.

Status
Not open for further replies.