MWBCs....tell me again ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

celtic

tincan44 said:
celtic said:
Is is a MWBC supplying the duplex?
Still not "equipment".

12-3 MWBC home run in a box w/ duplex recpt and D & D plugged in. I think the definition of equipment does apply to kitchen appliances. :wink:

It might...but the code is worded as "multiwire branch circuit supplying more than one device or equipment".
A duplex with a 12/3 is a MWBC.
The D&D is after the fact.
We have an "or", not an "and".

I'd like to know what they (CMP) are talking about. :?

Re: MWBCs....tell me again ?'s

celtic said:
I know we have discussed this previously - but...
The heaters are located quite a distance from the supply(3?), in a parking garage.
In an effort to save money (on copper) it was "suggested" that a 10/4 be run and branched out.
Each circuit will be on a single pole CB.

Are you required to install a seperate ground rod in this parking garage?

RUWired

celtic, Here is something from 220.14(I)describing your equipment wording.Also in resi,yoke refers to devices mainly,but can also be a double pole stat such as your unit heater if it was 220,a contactor,a disconnect,a panel box.anything that is multiwired with a common link needs to have a common means of disc.
Here is 220.14(I)

(I) Receptacle Outlets Except as covered in 220.14(J) and (K), receptacle outlets shall be calculated at not less than 180 volt-amperes for each single or for each multiple receptacle on one yoke. A single piece of equipment consisting of a multiple receptacle comprised of four or more receptacles shall be calculated at not less than 90 volt-amperes per receptacle. This provision shall not be applicable to the receptacle outlets specified in 210.11(C)(1) and (C)(2).
Rick

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
RUWired said:
celtic, Here is something from 220.14(I)describing your equipment wording.Also in resi,yoke refers to devices mainly,but can also be a double pole stat such as your unit heater if it was 220,a contactor,a disconnect,a panel box.anything that is multiwired with a common link needs to have a common means of disc.
Here is 220.14(I)

(I) Receptacle Outlets Except as covered in 220.14(J) and (K), receptacle outlets shall be calculated at not less than 180 volt-amperes for each single or for each multiple receptacle on one yoke. A single piece of equipment consisting of a multiple receptacle comprised of four or more receptacles shall be calculated at not less than 90 volt-amperes per receptacle. This provision shall not be applicable to the receptacle outlets specified in 210.11(C)(1) and (C)(2).
Rick

I'm not sure that I follow. How does Article 220, which covers load calculations apply to a disconnecting means?

RUWired

celtic seems to be stuck on the wording of equipment with same yoke.I was just giving him an example of the wording from another article that was describing this use.
Rick

celtic

Re: MWBCs....tell me again ?'s

GalwayElectric said:
celtic said:
I know we have discussed this previously - but...
The heaters are located quite a distance from the supply(3?), in a parking garage.
In an effort to save money (on copper) it was "suggested" that a 10/4 be run and branched out.
Each circuit will be on a single pole CB.

Are you required to install a seperate ground rod in this parking garage?

No, the parking garage is actually UNDER the building...not a seperate structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.