Hydrotherapy Pool Inspection Results - Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleveland

I inspected a hydrotherapy pool (actually 2 of them in one room) installation and am not positive what I see is all correct, partially correct, or all wrong. These pools are installed on one side of a concrete block wall that separates the space from a mechanical equipment room. A control panel for the larger pool is located in this mechancial equipment room. The smaller pool has the panel located beneath the wood deck built around the pools at one end. Here are my items of concern:

1. Rigid or IMC has been used beneath the wood deck that was built around the pools. In the mechanical equipment room this changes to EMT back to the control panel. Is this correct?
2. There are non fused disconnects beneath the deck fed with rigid or IMC. Liquid tight NM flex has been used from the disconnects to the pumps themselves. Length is less than 6 feet but can liquid tight NM flex be used here?
3. The decks around these two pools are high enough that there will barely be 7'-6" clear from the ceiling to the water level. Barely, but if you measure to the skimmer tops you'll have 7'-8" or so. What gets me is that when you are on this deck you can reach up and touch the lights. Now when you are in the pools you can't. There are GFCI breakers feeding these lights. Is this correct?

Except for these items things look okay. Equipment grounds have been installed and the bonding has been started. This wasn't the final inpection of the space. The original hydro tub in the room was below floor level but these new pools were set on the existing floor and a deck constructed up and around them.

Thanks for your time spent with this one!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I may be overlooking something, and hopefuly, you will have many sets of eyes look at your post, but I see nothing that is not Code compliant.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I feel sure that you can use emt on the tub- art.680.21(A)(2). 680.61 directs us to that art.

I am not sure how much of the nonmetallic liquidtite is part of the spa package. If it is part of the listed equipment then I can't see any issues otherwise I don't see where it is allowed elsewhere.

Art. 680.22(B)(2) allows 7'6" above the water level for a totally enclosed fixture if it is GFCI protected.

cleveland

Dennis Alwon said:
I feel sure that you can use emt on the tub- art.680.21(A)(2). 680.61 directs us to that art.

I am not sure how much of the nonmetallic liquidtite is part of the spa package. If it is part of the listed equipment then I can't see any issues otherwise I don't see where it is allowed elsewhere.

Art. 680.22(B)(2) allows 7'6" above the water level for a totally enclosed fixture if it is GFCI protected.

I'm not sure just what came with this "package". It was assembled from a raft of parts. Are we saying that if the nonmetallic liquidtite did not come with the pool "parts" then MC cable should really be used for the final connections to the motors?

Thanks for your help.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I have several of these installed in town and a couple more coming. The plan check is a pain since you can never really get all the info you need and it makes the inspections hard since you have to look so closely at things.

I don't think I see any violations in the install, and remember close counts. 7'8" is not 7'5".

Status
Not open for further replies.