Towel warmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

M. D.

Can I supply a receptacle outlet for a towel warmer from the 20 amp branch feeding the required receptacle outlet (210.52 (D) , within three feet of basin) if this circuit is feeding more than one bath room outlet??

I'm told these things are about 60 to 100 watts ?? Not that it matters in this case.

The way I read it, if the circuit leaves and feeds another required bath receptacle , the required 20 amp circuit is for the required outlets only,

Some folks say that any 125 volt receptacle installed in the bath is meant to be on that circuit.

The warmer will not be near the basin.

Thanks in advance

RUWired

M.D.,If this circuitis feeding more than one bathroom, then the towel warmer cannot be put on that circuit as per article 210.11(C)3.

(3) Bathroom Branch Circuits In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply bathroom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall have no other outlets.
Exception: Where the 20-ampere circuit supplies a single bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in accordance with 210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2).
Rick

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The way I read it, if the circuit leaves and feeds another required bath receptacle , the required 20 amp circuit is for the required outlets only,

That's incorrect, the one 20 amp circuit can supply all of the bathroom receptacle outlets, in every bathroom, as long as it supplies nothing other than the receptacles.

M. D.

The only receptacle required in the bathroom is the one within 3-ft of the basin.... so when we say "bathroom receptacle" the only receptacles that meet that description are the the ones within the required location , others are receptacles in the bathroom but not bathroom receptacles as required. Did that make any sense??

It seems to me that they want only receptacles in the required location to be on the 20 amp bathroom circuit . It does not say "all 125 volt 15 or 20 amp receptacles located in a bathroom shall be on the 20 amp bathroom branch circuit.
When it says "This circuit shall have no other outlets ."
other than what outlets ???... those required by 210.52. Unless the circuit supplies only one bathroom.

So once I meet the requirement I then can bring in a 15 amp general purpose and supply a receptacle for this 60 watt warmer??

210.11(c) tells us we need a 20 amp branch to supply bathroom receptacle outlets.

210.52 tells us where that/those receptacle(s) will be , defines what a bathroom receptacle outlet is , so to speak. ????

celtic

Reading from the commentary of 210.52(D) in the 2002 NECH:
Section 210.11(C)(3) requires the receptacle outlets to be supplied from a 20-ampere branch circuit with no other outlets. However, this circuit is permitted to supply the required receptacles in more than one bathroom. If the circuit supplies the required receptacle outlet in only one bathroom, it is allowed to also supply lighting and an exhaust fan within that bathroom. This receptacle is also required to be GFCI protected according to 210.8(A)(1).

Take it for what's it worth and toss another log on the fire...

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
M. D. said:
The only receptacle required in the bathroom is the one within 3-ft of the basin.... so when we say "bathroom receptacle" the only receptacles that meet that description are the the ones within the required location , others are receptacles in the bathroom but not bathroom receptacles as required. Did that make any sense??

It made sense. But it's wrong. I agree with Trevor:

infinity said:
(The) . . . one 20 amp circuit can supply all of the bathroom receptacle outlets, in every bathroom, as long as it supplies nothing other than the receptacles.

The code wording does not say the circuit can supply no outlets other than the "required outlet." It says the circuit can supply no outlets other than "bathroom receptacle outlets." That phrase is not defined as a phrase within the NEC. Thus, it can mean what the words mean in common English: any receptacle that is located within a bathroom. If you put three receptacle outlets in each of three bathrooms, with only one in each bathroom being within 3 feet of the sink, you can put them all nine of them on the same circuit.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree with Charlie: all bath receptacles may be on said circuit as long as it supplies only bath receptacles.

(3) Bathroom Branch Circuits In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply bathroom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall have no other outlets.

Note that it doesn't say only required receptacles or no other receptacles, just that it may supply only bath receptacles.

M. D.

Can other than 20 amp bathroom branch circuits supply receptacle outlets in the bathroom??

e57

Yes, so long as they too are gfi'ed. And you also have the required 20A circuit. (As in addition to...) The code says nothing about limiting the amount of circuits in a bathroom, you could have 42 of them in there, but you cant put a panel in it.... But if asking if a 15A can serve the purpose in place of the 20A, then no....

If the circuit is feeding other bathroom outlets only, you can't use the circuit for anything else. EXCEPT - when using the exception and feed only one bathroom. :rolleyes:

(3) Bathroom Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the bathroom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall have no other outlets.
Exception: Where the 20-ampere circuit supplies a single bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in accordance with 210.23(A).

From 210.23(A) w/commentary
(A) 15- and 20-Ampere Branch Circuits. A 15- or 20-ampere branch circuit shall be permitted to supply lighting units or other utilization equipment, or a combination of both, and shall comply with 210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2).
Exception: The small appliance branch circuits, laundry branch circuits, and bathroom branch circuits required in a dwelling unit(s) by 210.11(C)(1), (2), and (3) shall supply only the receptacle outlets specified in that section.
Section 210.23(A) permits a 15- or 20-ampere branch circuit for lighting to also supply utilization equipment fastened in place, such as an air conditioner. The equipment load must not exceed 50 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating (7.5 amperes on a 15-ampere circuit and 10 amperes on a 20-ampere circuit). However, according to 210.52(B), such fastened-in-place equipment is not permitted on the small-appliance branch circuits required in the kitchen, dining room, and so on.
(1) Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment. The rating of any one cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating.
(2) Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place. The total rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, *other than luminaires (lighting fixtures), shall not exceed 50 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating where lighting units, cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment not fastened in place, or both, are also supplied.

So, do you have a 20A circuit serving a single bathroom? (With or even without the lighting?) If so it sounds as if you can put a towel warmer on it.... It sounds as if it is equipment, and fastened in place, so it can be up to 10A IMO. And, if you wheel it into the room and plug it in, even more.

* I noticed this the other day... The use of "other than luminaires (lighting fixtures)" in 210.23(A)2 So that would seem to excempt lighting from this? So if I read this right, you could have 10A of equipment (Fastened~) and 10A of lighting, and an outlet next to the sink? Am I reading this right, are they excluding lighting from the calc, or the required basin receptical?

Status
Not open for further replies.