High Voltage Meter???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattShek

At my job we have been working on underground 15kv high voltage feeders. The only way we have to verify the line is dead is an amp meter, but that only shows there is no load on the line, is doesn't verify the absence of voltage....The only high voltage meter on the job will not read through the wires insulation.... can anyone tell me where to get a meter that will read through high voltage unishield insulation, or tell me a different method to check the wire..........thanks

MattShek

Thanks for the link, but that is the exact meter we have and it will not read through the cables insulation....I have tested it on a known live feeder and it didn't work

Steve Merrick

That is the problem with a Proximity Voltage Detector

That is the problem with a Proximity Voltage Detector

A proximity voltage detector like you are using can't reliably detect presence or absense of voltage through a shield or on a circuit where all three phase conductors are run in close proximity, as the electromagnetic fields between the three phases are largely cancelled.

You should do your voltage check at the cable terminals where the conductors are unshielded and separated. You should be able to get a good reliable reading there.

Steve

zog

Thats because it dosent work on 3 phase systems with the conductors close together. If you check at the termination point it will work.

Posted about 5 seconds too late, what we sharing a brain?

Status
Not open for further replies.