GFCI for refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Jim W in Tampa said:
Is one possible exception if that frig requires a dedicated circuit,then and only then would i require a single.

You might choose to install a single but you can not require a single.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
Jim W in Tampa said:
Bob,how can i have a dedicated outlet with a duplex?

I think the example of the fridge duplex explains that.

Also, there's a section in the code (my copy of which is who knows where at the moment ...) which says that an individual branch circuit may include an additional outlet for a clock.

So, there's one example of an individual branch circuit having more than a single outlet. As I recall there are several other exceptions as well, but I have to make dinner so I ain't gonna look 'em up.

iwire

Staff member
Jim W in Tampa said:
Bob,how can i have a dedicated outlet with a duplex?

tallgirl said:
there's a section in the code (my copy of which is who knows where at the moment ...) which says that an individual branch circuit may include an additional outlet for a clock.

Jim, Tall, Go to Article 100 and read the definition of individual Branch circuit.

It does not limit the number of receptacles on that circuit, only the amount of equipment it feeds.

Now read what the code making panel said when a proposal was pot in requesting that an individual branch circuit be limited to a single receptacle.

Panel Statement:
The definition proposed by the submitter is too restrictive.

A receptacle other than a single receptacle could be used and other means such as configuration or arrangement of the equipment could limit the application to a single utilization equipment

The exception Tallgirl brought up is not there to allow another receptacle, it is there to allow a second piece of equipment.

jshaw

In reading this thread I seem to be missing something. In the exception in 210.52 (B)(1) Except 2. it states "The receptacle outlet for refrigeration equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from an individual branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater."

No where can I see that it mentions that it can serve only 1 single utlization equipment. In fact, it only says refrigeration equipment. So, theoretically you could plug two refrigerators into that individual branch circuit. Or a Fridge and a small wine cooler say, as long as it only served refrigeration equipment.

I am just wondering where all the debate over utilization equipment comes into play concerning this particular exception?

Mike03a3

jshaw said:
In reading this thread I seem to be missing something. In the exception in 210.52 (B)(1) Except 2. it states "The receptacle outlet for refrigeration equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from an individual branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater."

No where can I see that it mentions that it can serve only 1 single utlization equipment. In fact, it only says refrigeration equipment. So, theoretically you could plug two refrigerators into that individual branch circuit. Or a Fridge and a small wine cooler say, as long as it only served refrigeration equipment.

I am just wondering where all the debate over utilization equipment comes into play concerning this particular exception?

Now go read the definition of Individual Branch Circuit:

Branch Circuit, Individual A branch circuit that supplies only one utilization equipment.

There goes the wine cooler.

Mike03a3

iwire said:
Now read what the code making panel said when a proposal was pot in requesting that an individual branch circuit be limited to a single receptacle.

Panel Statement:
The definition proposed by the submitter is too restrictive.
A receptacle other than a single receptacle could be used and other means such as configuration or arrangement of the equipment could limit the application to a single utilization equipment

OK, limiting an individual branch circuit to one receptacle is too restrictive. Perhaps because some utilization equipment such as the previously mentioned sump pump with battery backup required two receptacles. However, if you have an individual branch circuit intended to serve a single utilization equipment that requires only one receptacle (say, a refrigerator for example), then what "other means such as configuration or arrangement of the equipment" do you use to "limit the application to a single utilization equipment"?

Mike

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Bob, if I hammered you on it, I'll eat my crow now. But I'm too lazy to look and see (10 page thread). :D

jshaw said:
I'm with Mike, if there are two appliances listed seperately, then you wouldn't have an individual circuit any more.

stickboy1375

You guys are killing me, right or wrong, it's all about interpretation, so stop beating that dead dog already... somethings don't have a right or wrong answer.... if the AHJ wants it installed then thats fine by me...

iwire

Staff member
stickboy1375 said:
You guys are killing me, right or wrong, it's all about interpretation, so stop beating that dead dog already... somethings don't have a right or wrong answer.... if the AHJ wants it installed then thats fine by me...

For code questions most times there is a right or wrong answer, there are a few sections that are intentionally left to the AHJ. (Nearest the point of entrance for example)

Your view of an AHJs authority is mistaken.

I also think you are under the impression that your local inspector is the AHJ. I do not believe CTs local inspectors are AHJs. CTs AHJ is at the state level.

An inspector must only apply the rules as adopted by the area.

They can certainly make amendments to the NEC, we have 60 or 70 amendments to the NEC here in MA and they can and should be enforced by the "Inspector of Wires" as they are called in our local laws.

Let me ask this stick.

What is the point of having a code book at all if the inspectors can ignore it?

How can an EC properly bid a job if they can not know what the inspector will want next?

Why are you required to have continuing education if the inspector can change the rules at any moment.

Last edited:

tallgirl

Occupation
iwire said:
The exception Tallgirl brought up is not there to allow another receptacle, it is there to allow a second piece of equipment.

Right, but it's also there to allow a specific second piece of equipment, with its own 'nuther receptacle. Which, I think, means it can't be a second receptacle for a wine cooler or other 'fridge.

jshaw

In reading the NEC Handbook (and this is just the writer's opinion, not code wording - but I tend to agree) it says "An individual branch circuit supplies only one single receptacle for the connection of a single attachment plug......A branch circuit that supplies one duplex receptacle that can accommodate two cord-and-plug connected appliances or similar equipment is not an individual branch circuit."

So if the code says the refrigeration equipment can be served by an individual branch circuit of 15 amps and the definition of an individual branch circuit is followed, then the obvious conclusion is that the fridge, if supplied by a 15 amp individual branch circuit, must have a single receptacle and a duplex would be a violation. Although I, and many other AHJ's have allowed the duplex, it is IMHO a violation.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Jane,
Have you read post #55 in this thread? The code making panel said that they do not intend to require the use of a single receptacle for this application in a panel statement. As far as I am concerned the only thing that trumps a panel statement would be a FI.
Don

paul32

Nobody addressed Mike's point (I had thought of it also):

Mike03a3 said:
However, if you have an individual branch circuit intended to serve a single utilization equipment that requires only one receptacle (say, a refrigerator for example), then what "other means such as configuration or arrangement of the equipment" do you use to "limit the application to a single utilization equipment"?

stickboy1375

iwire said:
For code questions most times there is a right or wrong answer, there are a few sections that are intentionally left to the AHJ. (Nearest the point of entrance for example)

Your view of an AHJs authority is mistaken.

I also think you are under the impression that your local inspector is the AHJ. I do not believe CTs local inspectors are AHJs. CTs AHJ is at the state level.

An inspector must only apply the rules as adopted by the area.

They can certainly make amendments to the NEC, we have 60 or 70 amendments to the NEC here in MA and they can and should be enforced by the "Inspector of Wires" as they are called in our local laws.

Let me ask this stick.

What is the point of having a code book at all if the inspectors can ignore it?

How can an EC properly bid a job if they can not know what the inspector will want next?

Why are you required to have continuing education if the inspector can change the rules at any moment.

So say everyone comes to the conclusion that a duplex behind the fridge on a 15a ckt. is FINE, but now I install the duplex but the inspector will not pass it, do I tell him to call you? or just change it to make him happy because thats his interpretation... I don't think the local inspectors are AHJ either, since they ask me more questions than I ask them... If I have a question I call the State Inspector... bottom line...

iwire

Staff member
stickboy1375 said:
So say everyone comes to the conclusion that a duplex behind the fridge on a 15a ckt. is FINE, but now I install the duplex but the inspector will not pass it, do I tell him to call you? or just change it to make him happy because thats his interpretation...

That is up to you, although I don't think the sound of my voice will change the inspectors mind.

You have the right to ask him to put the violation in writing or pass the job.

Or

Once he puts it in writing you can refuse to comply, let the job wait and move up the ladder over his head.

Or, you can do what most of us would do, run to True-Value and get a "Master Mechanic" single receptacle for to much money install it and move on.
icon9.gif

The thing is here at a code forum I surprisingly think it is very important to talk about the actually rules so that we all know them. ;) :)

Jim W in Tampa

I was warned by an inspector on some townhouse i was doing.To save money i was putting the frig on one of the 2 SA circuits.He said i cant stop you from doing this but on the final if the frig is there i am checking to see if it requires a dedicated circuit.I took his advice,just too costly if it does.And if it does say dedicated outlet then it would need a single receptacle.

Mike03a3

paul32 said:
Nobody addressed Mike's point (I had thought of it also):

Since nobody responded to my question in #107, I rummaged around in the cartridge box and found one more bullet to pump into this dead horse.

If you add a second receptacle to an individual branch circuit, and that receptacle is not required for the single permitted utilization equipment, then I think it becomes by definition a General Purpose Branch Circuit.

From Article 100:

Branch Circuit, Individual. A branch circuit that supplies only one utilization equipment.

Branch Circuit, General-Purpose. A branch circuit that supplies two or more receptacles or outlets for lighting and appliances.

So, at least for the refrigerator discussion, I advance the theory that the definitions do in fact prohibit a second, unnecessary, receptacle on an individual branch circuit.

tallgirl

Occupation
Mike03a3 said:
So, at least for the refrigerator discussion, I advance the theory that the definitions do in fact prohibit a second, unnecessary, receptacle on an individual branch circuit.

Well, I'll see your cartidge and raise you 210.52 (B) (2) exception 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.