Greenlee PVC Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrancisDoody

Bending 2 Inch PVC is a lot harder than the smaller sizes. I wanted to have your opinion as to whether it would be worth spending the $400.00 dollars to buy a set of PVC plugs to stop the PVC from kinking during a bending operation. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Fran

mdshunk

Yeah... I have much better luck with the bending plugs. I didn't realize that they are 400 bucks for the kit. I can't remember spending nearly that much. I have a man that uses plumber's test plugs. They are cheaper, I feel sure. He has one of each size tapped with a schraeder valve, so that he can pressureize the pipe a couple of pounds with a bike pump before heating, which also seems to help.

If you can form the pipe in one of your bending shoes, you'll have better luck too.

dduffee260

Hi Fran, we have some of those kits but I can't really remembering using them. Here is an idea, why don't you get a female or male adapter for 2". Plug the end with a plug or cap and maybe teflon tape. Then when you are ready to bend put the adapters over the ends of the pipe while installing it in the heater. I know it is not really a sealed cap but it is worth a try. Good luck !!

rap

They Make A Spring Which Goes Inside The Pvc To Stop From Kinking ,i Have Used The Smaller Size And It Works Great

FrancisDoody

Two inch is not a problem to bend. However, to get the perfect looking bend is a problem.

The first thing that happens is a kink which you straighten out then at the same time the ID starts to narrow so you must reshape that section of the pipe.

While all this is going on your still trying to bead the pipe to the correct angle.

It just seems like Mike had the best idea, The plumbing plugs and a bike pump seem to be the best way to go. I will try that idea next.

By the way, I have been sealing the ends with foil duct tape. Don't seem to help very much. The Viper is the spring that someone mentioned, that works for the very small stuff.

hillbilly

For some reason I've never considered using a spring. That sounds like a good idea and I'm gonna give it a try. Long springs cant cost that much and won't wear out, plus it sounds like it would be really simple to use.
Mcmaster Carr lists a assortment of extension springs up to 1 1/2" OD.
These springs are 36" long and a 1" diameter costs less than $5.
Springs for 3 and 4" would probably get expensive although the cost (most likely) wouldn't be relative if it saved time.
steve

bphgravity

Try using this product:

viper.jpg

http://www.ipexinc.com/Content/EN_CA/2_0_Products/2_2_electrical_systems/2_2_10_pipeviper.asp

macmikeman

FrancisDoody said:
Two inch is not a problem to bend. However, to get the perfect looking bend is a problem.

The first thing that happens is a kink which you straighten out then at the same time the ID starts to narrow so you must reshape that section of the pipe.

While all this is going on your still trying to bead the pipe to the correct angle.

One tip from me is to make sure you are heating along enough length of the conduit when you bend. If the heated zone is too short the tendency is to kink at the area of the pressure applied to bend. Spreading out that zone will give a much smoother bend. Slow the bending speed also helps, if you try to just whip the bend out you have a greater chance of kinking. Wet rags is the macmikeman approved cheapo method for stuffing the ends. 2" is a snap. I have to do 3" alot and it takes way longer to bend right.

bphgravity

They demonstrated this product at the Florida State IAEI meeting back in May. I can't imagine trying to bend 2" with this product by they say it is still easier than with heat...

Status
Not open for further replies.