Service call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinniem

Went on a service call yesterday. Reason was a suspect outlet that, according to the homeowner, caused a small electrical fire when he went to plug in a lamp. This ocurred 2 years ago. hasn't used the outlet since. he is selling the house, "as is" and wants to clear up any problems he knows about.

I examined the outlet and wiring, all ok, no evidence of any arc flashing or burning. Gave it my blessings and left.

As I was driving away, I started thinking if there were any other things I should have looked for. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I would have suggested replacing the receptacle. That would have given you a chance to look closely at the condition of the wires, and might have revealed if one or more wires had been loose. It would also have given the homeowner a bit more peace of mind, in that whatever might have cause the problem would not be able to cause that problem again.

kkwong

Vinn-when you say "examined" what do you mean and did the home owner describe the "fire" to you? I've had a few home owners that have said "small fire" when in fact it was the prongs of the plug sparking with the recep. springs. Normally I check voltage between hot-neutral and hot-ground for any discrepancies both on the wiring and in the recep itself; and the connections on the recep. Usually I like to look at the object that might have caused this issue, in this case the lamp, look at the prongs and if I'm feeling nice, ohm test between the socket and the prongs on both legs. Though there are times, too, that I have done just that, look at it, give it my blessing and leave. I think it just depends on what we see.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
At the very least, snug up the terminals, and if stabbed, relocate the wires to the screws. Then consider offering to do the same to the entire circuit.

Also, after two years, it's common for someone to remember the event at the wrong receptacle; another reason to scout the whole room.

Vinniem

thanks for the imput.

the gentleman was very certian that that was the outlet in question.
The lamp that supposedly caused this fire no longer exists. i did throughly exaime the wires and connections as well as the remaing outlets in the room. All the outlets in the home were all the older type with no ground.

The outlet in question seemed to me to be in good shape. I didn't have any older outlets on my truck. I did suggest changing the outlet to a GFI but the homeowner was selling the house anyway to a contractor who was going to renovate the house next month.

I felt it was best to leave that outlet and be on my way.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Vinniem said:
I did suggest changing the outlet to a GFI . . .

I felt it was best to leave that outlet and be on my way.
Between the two, I agree you took the better option. The GFCI would have been of little benefit anyway.

growler

Vinniem said:
I examined the outlet and wiring, all ok, no evidence of any arc flashing or burning. Gave it my blessings and left.

The only things that I advise on a service call like this ( or any other ) is to document what was done. State things so as to limit the scope of responsibility. You were there to check out one receptacle that the homeowner believed to be responsible for a small fire two years ago. You were not being paid to inspect the whole house.

I always offer to inspect the whole house but when I give them a price they decline so I can state on the invoice that the homeowner refused electrical home inspection. Puts the ball back in their court.

bradleyelectric

I once had a service call about an outlet causing a small fire in the middle of the night. Went to the house and found out what happened was the brother liked to keep things on top of the toaster oven and turn the toaster oven on and fall asleep drunk when he got home at night. The homeowner wanted to know what she could do to that outlet to prevent her brother from causing fires. I told her she can put her brother out before he burned them all up.

If your going to do "Service Calls" then provide a service.
Replace the receptacle.
If you don't have the correct one, then go get it & return immediately.
Next time, have this type of receptacle in every color on your Service Vehicle

Did I miss something?

Did I miss something?

I agree with Jeff's thinking.

I try to have 1 or 2 of every type of outlet on my truck at all times...

I know this costs money and can create a mess, but it creates an impression.

Today, I had everything I needed for an unexpected service call.

Gave the customer a quote, they signed, I went to work. It surprised them.

Status
Not open for further replies.