25000 square ft home

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK a little stumbled here guys. I have a huge job coming up for my aunt in Florida. Her home is going to be 15000 sq ft but the basement will be 10000 sq ft. What size service do you guys recommend for this size home. I was thinking of an apartment meter stack but she only wants one meter. The largest res service i have done has been a 400 amp and that was only a 8500 sq ft home finished basement. Has anyone installed a res service for a 25k sq ft home? What size service did you guys install?

220/221

There are no plans for this mammoth?

Get out your code book and figure out the load calcs. It's all in the book :)

One ballpark method is 200 amps is good for up to 2 AC units.

stickboy1375

Brad Baxter said:
OK a little stumbled here guys. I have a huge job coming up for my aunt in Florida. Her home is going to be 15000 sq ft but the basement will be 10000 sq ft. What size service do you guys recommend for this size home. I was thinking of an apartment meter stack but she only wants one meter. The largest res service i have done has been a 400 amp and that was only a 8500 sq ft home finished basement. Has anyone installed a res service for a 25k sq ft home? What size service did you guys install?

Um, yeah, since I really dont have any specs on any of the equipment, I would just install a 100 amp service?

mdshunk

I'd start with a load calculation, but I'm betting you're going to have either an 800 or 1000 amp service. It's just a pure guess, however. There is absolutely no way to know anything from square footage. Do your load calc.

cadpoint

Go 3 phase, and everything will been fine.

Better yet how close is 3 Phrase ?

3.5 x SQ footage, Plus, Plus, plus....:grin: + the Extra's...

Thought about A/C size ? ?, or is it a green design ? :rolleyes:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
some of the FL guys hopefully will chime in, but from what I've read, I can't imagine a house that large anywhere in FL that doesn't require engineered drawings.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Another question may be are you licensed in the state of FL?

I would say for this project Plan review will probably be interested in all the numbers (calculations) and your license status.

Roger

peter d

I would put in a 100 amp service, a few keyless in the basement, 2 20 A circuits in the kitchen, a jelly jar at each door, code minimum for the rest, and call it a day.

mdshunk

peter d said:
I would put in a 100 amp service, a few keyless in the basement, 2 20 A circuits in the kitchen, a jelly jar at each door, code minimum for the rest, and call it a day.
All joking aside, about 4 or 5 years ago I did the finish on one such McMansion where the owners ran out of money (went nuts on the millwork package). All of the lights ended up being keyless lampholders for inspection, and most of the teledata plates got blanked off. Pretty funny seeing a keyless over a fancy vanity on the wall, or a keyless where a chandelier was planned. I forget what we did for the outside fixtures. I think something cheap from Lowe's, but not jelly jars.

peter d

mdshunk said:
All joking aside, about 4 or 5 years ago I did the finish on one such McMansion where the owners ran out of money (went nuts on the millwork package). All of the lights ended up being keyless lampholders for inspection, and most of the teledata plates got blanked off. I forget what we did for the outside fixtures. I think something cheap from Lowe's, but not jelly jars.

Yup, most of the big houses in CT (land of McMansions) are done that way because usually the owners are nowhere close to picking out fixtures at the final inspection.

You really can't beat the price of a jelly jar or keyless, $3.49 and $1.49 respectively. ;)

ceb58

Brad Baxter said:

The sq. ft, 2 kit. circ., 1 laundry works out to 164 amps alone. I hope she is your favorite aunt and she has you in her will:grin:

peter d

mdshunk said:
You should keep your eyes peeled for their yard sale and go buy a hundred keyless lampholders for a nickel each. :)

Oh, I would too. ;)

The contractor I worked for took them back when it finally came time to hang the lights. They had a box of them that traveled from house to house.

mdshunk

peter d said:
The contractor I worked for took them back when it finally came time to hang the lights. They had a box of them that traveled from house to house.
I have a box of junk devices that make their rounds too on remodel jobs and such where you might need to install some stuff, but you're sure they'll get plaster and paint on them.

Ebow

Never seen a basement in Fla. But I've only lived in the coastal areas. Water table is about 6 ft. unless we are in a drought. Any house that size should have a set of engineered drawings with service specs and details on them. I did a slightly smaller sized house (sans basement) a couple of years ago and it only called for a 300a service with three air conditioners. All had 10kw heat strips but the main one had an additional emergency heat strip that I believe was around 7kw.

The only thing I really remember about the job was hanging that $8000 chandalier 22 ft. up in a semi circular stairway. Oh yeah, and a cieiling fan with a 8ft. downrod on the back porch. No wobble but a fair amount of sway on windy days.

Gene

Remember - Speed kills and it may not always be you.

Buck Parrish

Brad Baxter said:

Talk to the poco engineer about installing a 3 phase underground latteral.
You will probably install a ct cabinet outdoors.. From there, either directly inside or outside you would set a gutter. From there you could install up to six 200 amp panels. If moore then 6 you would need to set a very large disconnect or two smaller ones.
Being Florida you should mention to your aunt. A generator back up system with a auto transfer switch.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ebow said:
Oh yeah, and a cieiling fan with a 8ft. downrod on the back porch. No wobble but a fair amount of sway on windy days.
I would have suggested something in the fashion of the chains used for those large hanging fixtures you've seen in porticos.

Status
Not open for further replies.