CT termintion

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinod

Team,
Can anybody provide some information/Standard about CT termination? I found motor differential CT wires are connected in to regular type of terminals. ie. Normal terminals for panel control wirings with pin type lug. Is that correct? My suggestion is they should use RING type lugs and the terminals equipped with shorting links. Am I correct?
Please advise...

Last edited:

djohns6

I'm not sure what you mean about " pin type lug " , but we always use ring terminals , and there is always a terminal block with a shorting bar for the secondary .

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
vinod said:
Team,
Can anybody provide some information/Standard about CT termination? I found motor differential CT wires are connected in to regular type of terminals. ie. Normal terminals for panel control wirings with pin type lug. Is that correct? My suggestion is they should use RING type lugs and the terminals equipped with shorting links. Am I correct?
Please advise...

This is strictly a design choice, there are no universally applicable standards.

My vote is for ring lugs and shorting blocks.

vinod

djohns6 said:
I'm not sure what you mean about " pin type lug " , but we always use ring terminals , and there is always a terminal block with a shorting bar for the secondary .
Attached the sample of "pin type" lug

iwire

Staff member
vinod said:
Attached the sample of "pin type" lug

I never understood the point of these being used with good quality terminal blocks. In my opinion the only thing you gain are potential failure points. The only reason to use them seems to be 'cause it looks nice'.

Status
Not open for further replies.