Appropriate Forum Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

templdl

Just where did learn morals and ethics from?
Some want to remove the 10 commandments from public places as if they don't apply anymore. Maybe it's because they don't want to be reminded of or be held accountable for their lack of "morals and ethics."

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
templdl said:
Just where did learn morals and ethics from?

Since you asked...

Religion is based on faith in, and usually obedience based on fear of, a diety, from whom we receive the rules of life. If one claims to not believe in said deity, then they rationalize that the rules do not apply to them.

I believe that the rules of life have nothing to do with a deity. They are based upon being the kind of person that cares about his fellow man and, more importantly, what kind of person he sees himself to be.

In other words, I didn't teach my son that he must follow the rules of life because God is always watching him, but because he himself is always watching, and that doesn't depend upon a blind faith in an unprovable being.

From this link is taken the following excerpt:

"A certain non-Jewish "wise-guy" came to scoff at the Torah . . . to the home of Hillel. He said, "Teach me the Torah while I am standing on one foot." Hillel responded. "No problem! The main idea of the Torah is 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' Everything else is commentary."

There are variations on this, such as "That which you find hateful, do not do to others." This is the basis of the Golden Rule which is, in my opinion, unrelated to religion; it applies equally to believers and non-believers.

Minuteman

I for one appreciate the call for professionalism at this forum.

Once, I was bending EMT on the 1st floor, when a guy on the 2nd started pouring cement in a small "pour back" hole. Went right down the back of my neck and inside my shirt.

I went up to the guy and let him know my opinion about his lack of consideration.

Right after I unloaded on the guy my apprentice said, "I have never saw anybody as mad as you are, who did not cuss. Nothing! Red in the face, arms flailing about, and not one word of profanity. How did you do it? You must have some restraint!"

"I just don't use those kind of words" I said.

dlhoule

I've seen a few mentions of the Golden Rule. Which I have been told is "Do onto others as you would have them do onto you."

If that is the case it is a bunch of Hogwash. If I take that literally it would mean that when I went out to dinner with a non drinker or a non drinking alcoholic, I would be buying them a beer. However, I personally would prefer not to follow above Golden Rule, and be considerate of the others preferences and feelings.

I'd still like them to be buying me a beer though. Usually they don't, now how considerate is that? :D

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
dlhoule said:
If I take (the Golden Rule) literally it would mean that when I went out to dinner with a non drinker. . . , I would be buying them a beer.
Not at all. It would mean that you would buy them a beverage that they would enjoy, without expecting them to buy you a beverage in return. But then, if they did choose to buy you a beverage, and if they refuse to buy you the beer that you want, it would be them, and not you, who will have violated "the rule."

But back to the point. Let us treat every other member of this Forum with respect and using language that reflects professional courtesy. If you disagree with what someone says, please feel free to say so. But say so without berating the other person in any way.

Let me put it this way: when you make a comment on someone else's opinion with which you disagree, use language that you cannot be forced to regret, just in case someone is able to prove that you were wrong and the other person was right.

JohnE

iwire said:
Jim W in Tampa said:
I do think a moderator should send a private message to the poster.

Most times that is what happens. :)

While I have no problem with editing, I do agree a pm should be sent to poster. About a year ago I made a joke which led to a progression of jokes which was eventually deleted. After thinking about it I agreed that it was inappropriate (no foul language or anything it just led to more and more). I pm'd the moderator who deleted the offensive posts and apologized. I didn't even get a response from him. Oh well, as I like and respect him, and we've had some good conversations.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
No I am not Mad. Here is my exact PM to Ryan

To: ryan_618
Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:24 am
Subject: Re: Your comments

re: Oh...so you're still pissed off about the union non union thread?

Sorry for the delay, but I've wanted to have fun with that for a long time. I was hoping someone from Salt Lake could elaborate on the sponsorship thing; does it really help? I'll go back and stir the pot some more, in case you care to elaborate.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Minuteman said:
"I just don't use those kind of words" I said.

Could you please give us a list of the words you don't use? I suspect they would be the same words that ought not be used here. Perhaps the list of words not to be used could then be put in the FAQ.

Note use of sarcasm.

Even little kids should know how to behave in public, and this is a pretty public place.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Ramsy, get over it already. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm glad Ryan let us know what you're so upset about and the reason for you sucker punching (synonym) him in this thread.

Once again, (with no animosity) you are free to go elsewhere.

Roger

ramsy

Occupation
jes25 said:
HUH.........This post has me TOTALLY baffled! I think we are in the Bizzaro forum. PS George whats: lds
LDS stands for The Church of Jesus Christ Later Day Saints........

Edited for typecasting, after receiving a complaint on the post.
Ryan_618

ramsy

Occupation
roger said:
Ramsy, get over it already. :roll: :roll: :roll: Once again, (with no animosity) you are free to go elsewhere.
You are also free to stop smoking crack and inviting people to leave. The pepers you eat are giving me hot holes!

ryan_618

Although I personaly am an aetheist, I don't really think an electrical forum is the place for a religious discussion. With that said, let us drop the religious portion of this thread, shall we?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
If this were a democracy, I'd vote to have all religious references deleted from this thread. No one should feel uncomfortable participating here. :x :x :x

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
ramsy said:
roger said:
Ramsy, get over it already. :roll: :roll: :roll: Once again, (with no animosity) you are free to go elsewhere.
You are also free to stop smoking crack and inviting people to leave. The pepers you eat are giving me hot holes!
Nope, I will continue to point it out to you as long as you think you have some right to be offensive.

As far as smoking crack, that seems to be a hippie thing you may relate to, I don't know. :? :? :? :roll:

BTW, what are "pepers"? You may want to take some advice (mentioned before) and not post when drinking or under the influence of what ever hippies do. :lol:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.