Renovation of two family home

Status
Not open for further replies.

ancram

I am in the process of renovating the first floor of a two family home of which the second floor is currrently occupied. The floor that I am working on is one bedroom, LR, Kitchen and bathroom.I have a 100AMP service with two Square D 50 Amp panels; one for each unit. The unit that I am working on has gas cooking, no washer dryer; I will be wiring for general lighting, bathroom circuit, kitchen circuit. There has been no electrical load problems in the past on either floor.
Can I wire for the above with the existing panel or do I have to upgrade the service?
Thanks in advance.

Jljohnson

Easiest way to figure it out is to load calc the ENTIRE structure. General lighting, small appliance, laundry, A/C , etc. Chances are good that the 100 amp is adequate but this will tell you for sure. mike's site has a handy spreadsheet in the "freestuff" section. if your like me and want the easiest, fastest way to do a calc.

dlhoule

I would do calc like Jim said and if existing service is adequate I would do like rcarroll said and check with the AHJ. Some places require an upgrade to a 100 amp service for any work done at a residence.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
dlhoule said:
I would do calc like Jim said and if existing service is adequate I would do like rcarroll said and check with the AHJ. Some places require an upgrade to a 100 amp service for any work done at a residence.

I thought that was more or less a universal requirement these days.

dlhoule

Bob said:

I am assuming you are referring to checking with local AHJ and I agree with that. I was just thinking that if you did the calc and it required an upgrade, there would be no reason to check with local AHJ. Why waste their time if it isn't necessary?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
dlhoule said:
Bob said:

I am assuming you are referring to checking with local AHJ and I agree with that. I was just thinking that if you did the calc and it required an upgrade, there would be no reason to check with local AHJ. Why waste their time if it isn't necessary?

i was refering to every residence requiring a 100A service.

growler

ancram list his occupation as project manager, Then makes statements like " the unit I will be working on" and " I will be wiring ". I would ask if this is an owner or handyman planning on doing an under the counter renovation. All the questions asked here would be answered when he goes to get his building permit for the renovation. rcarroll was right he needs to check with the local AHJ before doing anything.

dlhoule

Bob said:
i was refering to every residence requiring a 100A service.

In most cases absolutely true. In existing there are various rules depending on locality. Good idea to upgrade? Yes.

Sorry for my confusion.

ancram

100 Amp service

100 Amp service

The project is to be wired by a professional. One electrician is fine with it another said we need to upgrade. I called the underwriter and he is of the opinion that it is ok to leave as is but certianly better to upgrade the service in the long run.
The standard minimum on new construction I believe is minimum 150 amp drop with one, 100 amp panel per floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.