Line truck convoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

Just came up the interstate earlier this morning, and saw a few convoy's of line trucks headed south. Tis the season. Most every one was towing a trailer of some sort; flat trailers, camper trailers, pole trailers, reel trailers. Some looked brand spanking new with no lettering whatsoever. Just leased units, I suppose. Nothing like speculating on the storm damage work.

mdshunk

chris kennedy said:
It's not speculation Marc. It's reality.
Yeah, I know, but I saw a lot of brand new trucks in the mix. That takes some guts. My hat's off to those entrepreneurs. God bless America.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
There were a bunch in my area when Fay was coming through. I-75 runs through here w/ I-10 just a few miles below, and a few thousand hotel rooms, so its a good meeting place for them. Usually there's a lot of tree surgeons tagging along w/ them like asplundh. Back in '04 when we got hit by 4 hurricanes, there were at least 200 trucks camped out here; mostly from Pike and a lot of Southern Co.

mdshunk

peter d said:
Marc, did you catch any of the names on the trucks? From your description these are private companies, no?
The only one I recognized was Henkles & McCoy. Most of the rest were along the lines of Billy Boy's Line Construction, or they were unmarked.

peter d

mdshunk said:
The only one I recognized was Henkles & McCoy. Most of the rest were along the lines of Billy Boy's Line Construction, or they were unmarked.

I see...I was curious if any public or investor owned utilities were in the mix.

mdshunk

peter d said:
I see...I was curious if any public or investor owned utilities were in the mix.
I'm sure their will be. I didn't happen to notice any today. Inside one of the side bins of most public utility's line trucks is a couple magnets they can put on the cab doors that normally read either "Storm Duty" or "Mutual Aid", or similar. Sorta like PR for the utility when they can slap these magnets on the outside and come to the rescue.

djohns6

From what we experienced yesterday , we can sure use them . The whole world is torn down around here . As bad as Katrina in this immediate area .
I spent all day yesterday watching trees snap and fall down . It sounded like a gorilla stomping on my roof . :D Gonna be a fun week .

walkerj

djohns6 said:
From what we experienced yesterday , we can sure use them . The whole world is torn down around here . As bad as Katrina in this immediate area .
I spent all day yesterday watching trees snap and fall down . It sounded like a gorilla stomping on my roof . :D Gonna be a fun week .

Everything you said is true for me too.
There can never be enough lineman around after a hurricane.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I was gonna post today and ask if anyone was from that area and see how they were doing.

I assume that the worst is over?

And I hope that you and your families fared well.

djohns6

dbuckley said:
A look at the Entergy outage maps shows these guys are going to be quite busy.

Brother , you can't imagine ... We were told to expect 16 hr days minimum for the next month . I had 19 yesterday . It's a real mess .

Status
Not open for further replies.