Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: Air-tite recessed lights

Originally posted by Lithium1994:
In a moist environment, above a shower stall for example.
Where does it say that fixtures above a shower need to be air tight?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I've been told that there is an "energy" code (which I haven't seen but apparently we electricians are required to adhere to where it applies to us) that the AC guys have to follow. Basically it states that any penetration into an attic or insulated space has to be sealed so that there is no heat loss. That's why the manufacturers are sealing the recessed cans and giving you gaskets to put on the trims. So, if you have a choice of buying IC or IC-air tight, you're better off buying the air tight can so that you're covered. I don't think the $$ are big enough to make a difference.

The AC guys used to be able to just stuff insulation along the sides of their ductwork that penetrated into the attic. They now are using some type of foam sealant for that and some type of mixed compound sealant instead of duct tape where two pieces of duct meet.

copper123

hello,
I live in cold country. We use a vapor barrier on all our houses to provide a thermal, air tight envelope. The hope is you never penetrate that envelope, and if you do, try to seal it off in some fashion. Just speaking from experience, an airtight can is never air tight. I have not tested all the cans out there, so I need to be a bit cautions with that statement. Anyhow, it pretty much is a big NO way, when customers want cans in the ceilings that penetrate into the outer enviroment. If it just has to be done, the builders make a airtight box that the can goes into, and then they seal the wire penetration. Also, FYI, we have filled many of the airtight cans with water, and they leak like crazy!
just my 1/2 cent worth

copper123

Also, I forgot to mention:
When a house gets built, it get a energy star rating. 4 star,5 star, 5 star + is best. This test has many variables, but one of the major thing they do is a blower door test. They actually take off the front door, put in a airtight replacement door with a hole in the middle of it. They insert a large round fan in the middle of the door. It sucks a enormous amount of CFM of air out of the house and creates a negative pressure. This is how they test the vapor barrier envelope. Any leak in that envelope and you can actually go up to the area and feel the air moving in from the outside. The tech. has a program that calcs the size of the home, all the variables and also the amount of air exchange. This is how they get the rating of the house. Any outside walls that have switches and outlets can be challenging if not sealed up correctly. A lot of the research and technology has started in Canada and it really does work. The only kicker to the super tight/super insulated house is the fact that you still need to get clean air inside, so we have to spend a ton of money on the mechanical ventilation for that. But that Tech is getting very cool as well! HRV's are other methods are the most popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.