Screened in porch - outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

shockin

I am curious as to how others are wiring three season porches (Screened in porches). I believe that 210.52 does not require that we install any wiring, but obviously the home owner will want it. By definition of article 100 I would call it a damp location. So I assume that any recept installed would need to be GFCI protected, and have a "bubble cover." And I assume the switch would be the same. How about the light fixture or ceiling fan? Do they need to be listed for a damp location? It would be very unlikely that they would ever get wet. Thanks in advance for your help.

ramdiesel3500

Very good question for which I have no answer. I've seen it go both ways and I eagerly await the opinions of the experts here! From a design standpoint, I tend to stick with damp location fixtures in these cases, but may not really need to. For me, it depends on where you draw the line between an indoor location and an outdoor location (porch)!

dlhoule

At the very least it would have to be a damp location. My porch is not screened but I believe water will go through a screen almost as easy as no screen, and I have seen water dripping off the ceiling of my porch after a thunderstorm. I'm not talking by the edge either, 8' from front railing and 20' from side railing. I'd use GFCI for everything including the fan.

muskiedog

406.8 Receptacles in Damp or Wet Locations.
(A) Damp Locations. A receptacle installed outdoors in a location protected from the weather or in other damp locations shall have an enclosure for the receptacle that is weatherproof when the receptacle is covered (attachment plug cap not inserted and receptacle covers closed).
An installation suitable for wet locations shall also be considered suitable for damp locations.
A receptacle shall be considered to be in a location protected from the weather where located under roofed open porches, canopies, marquees, and the like, and will not be subjected to a beating rain or water runoff.

410.4 Luminaires (Fixtures) in Specific Locations.
A pamphlet entitled Luminaires Marking Guide, available from Underwriters Laboratories Inc., was developed to help the authority having jurisdiction quickly determine whether common types of UL-listed fluorescent, high-intensity discharge, and incandescent fixtures are installed correctly.
410.4 (A) Wet and Damp Locations. Luminaires (fixtures) installed in wet or damp locations shall be installed so that water cannot enter or accumulate in wiring compartments, lampholders, or other electrical parts. All luminaires (fixtures) installed in wet locations shall be marked, ?Suitable for Wet Locations.? All luminaires (fixtures) installed in damp locations shall be marked, ?Suitable for Wet Locations? or ?Suitable for Damp Locations.?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
By definition of article 100 I would call it a damp location. So I assume that any recept installed would need to be GFCI protected, and have a "bubble cover."

I would call it a damp location too. However damp locations do not require "bubble covers".

shockin

I can't seem to find where it says the light fixtures would need to be GFCI protected. As I think about it, they probably don't need to be. Exterior fixtures aren't GFCI protected, what's the differance.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
shockin said:
I can't seem to find where it says the light fixtures would need to be GFCI protected. As I think about it, they probably don't need to be. Exterior fixtures aren't GFCI protected, what's the differance.

They do not require GFCI protection. Even a light mounted inches above your head in a shower does not require GFCI protection.

Jim W in Tampa

And just what do we call a receptacle under a window thats open in a room that perhaps is a bed room or living room ?How is this differant from a sun room ? If the roof leaks fix it,if its raining close the window.

RUWired

Jim W in Tampa said:
And just what do we call a receptacle under a window thats open in a room that perhaps is a bed room or living room ?How is this differant from a sun room ? If the roof leaks fix it,if its raining close the window.
I hope the gfci lobbyist arn't tunning in, they'll want a gfi device at all windows that can be open and where subject to rain.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
marinesgt0411 said:
but if it is considered OUTSIDE it does need a bubble cover

Being located outside does not automatically mean that it is a wet location. Wet locations require bubble covers. Not all outside locations are wet locations. Under a covered porch, outside of the driving rain would be a damp location which does not require a bubble cover.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
marinesgt0411 said:
Thank you still having this arguement with the inspector I say weatherproof she says bubble.

The inspector needs to brush up on the definitions of wet and damp locations. The in use type of cover is required in a wet location not a damp location. I think that the definitions in Article 100 are pretty clear.

Location, Damp. Locations protected from weather and not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but subject to moderate degrees of moisture. Examples of such locations include partially protected locations under canopies, marquees, roofed open porches, and like locations, and interior locations subject to moderate degrees of moisture, such as some basements, some barns, and some cold-storage warehouses.
Location, Wet. Installations under ground or in concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed to weather.

406.8 Receptacles in Damp or Wet Locations.
(A) Damp Locations. A receptacle installed outdoors in a location protected from the weather or in other damp locations shall have an enclosure for the receptacle that is weatherproof when the receptacle is covered (attachment plug cap not inserted and receptacle covers closed).
An installation suitable for wet locations shall also be considered suitable for damp locations.
A receptacle shall be considered to be in a location protected from the weather where located under roofed open porches, canopies, marquees, and the like, and will not be subjected to a beating rain or water runoff.
(B) Wet Locations.
(1) 15- and 20-Ampere Receptacles in a Wet Location. 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt receptacles installed in a wet location shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof whether or not the attachment plug cap is inserted.

Status
Not open for further replies.