Building Proximity

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerickson

I'm not sure where to even begin to find an answer for this question, so I'm hoping somebody can point me in the right direction!

We are designing a fuel terminal site and based on the site layout we may need to locate an office building within 65 feet of a loading rack where gasoline and diesel products will be loaded and offloaded by semi trucks. The question is whether or not 65' between the office and the load rack is enough. I know based merely on hazardous classification that it's fine, but what about building codes, fire-related safety issues, etc? Are there any standards available on this (NFPA, etc)?

Any help at all would be appreciated. :smile:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
kerickson said:
I'm not sure where to even begin to find an answer for this question, so I'm hoping somebody can point me in the right direction!

We are designing a fuel terminal site and based on the site layout we may need to locate an office building within 65 feet of a loading rack where gasoline and diesel products will be loaded and offloaded by semi trucks. The question is whether or not 65' between the office and the load rack is enough. I know based merely on hazardous classification that it's fine, but what about building codes, fire-related safety issues, etc? Are there any standards available on this (NFPA, etc)?

Any help at all would be appreciated. :smile:
I suggest you contact your local building inspection dept. for this info.

iwire

Staff member
I moved this from the safety forum to the Hazardous location forum.

I think you will have a better shot at attracting those in the know. :smile:

kkwong

Dennis Alwon said:
I suggest you contact your local building inspection dept. for this info.

I'd go a step farther and contact the Fire Inspector. As Dennis stated the building dept should have one of these guys on board. The IFC should have seperation requirements for what you're doing and you might have to apply for a variance if you are too close and nothing else can be done to move the bldg.

bobgorno

Find out who's responsibility it is to look at property and exposure issues.

The owner or his "safety guy" needs to bring in a fire protection engineer, insurance rep or other qualified person for building siting.

The answer is in NFPA 30 (2008), Flammable and Combustible Liquids Code, Chapter 22, Aboveground Storage tanks and NFPA 30A (2008) Code for Motor Fuel Dispensing Facilities and Repair Garages, Table 4.3.2.4 or API 2610, Design, Construction, Operation, Maintenance, and Inspection of Terminal & Tank Facilities

The answer is there, but there are many more questions to address. It is not an electrical issue.

Distance to property lines is dependent on the type of tank and the protection it has. I could be anywhere from 30-350 feet.

For buildings on the same site (same owner I would assume) it could be 5 feet or it could be based on the diameter of the tank or it could be 50 feet, depending on the protection of the tank. There are truck traffic pattern issues also.

Someone needs to dig in deeper and read the whole standards for all of the possible issues.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.