Building Seperation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric J. Palmer

We are renovating a school that has a building with a breeze way of 10' in between it. The building has a common roof and slab covering as if it where one building. For grounding perposes and disconnecting means, is there code that validates that this is one building and not 2 seperate buildings?

raider1

Staff member
The building code considers it one roof, one building.

A firewall can separate one structure into two buildings.

I agree with George, check with the local AHJ to see how this building is being treated.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Am I wrong in saying that even if there was a firewall that it is still one structure and that for grounding purposes it does not matter???

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
It's not always the case. Depending on legalities, you could have many units sharing a roof.

For example, in a condo situation you could have 6 dwelling units that could each have a service and their own GES. Each premises could be considered independent, despite their physical dependence on their neighbors for keeping the rain out. :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
georgestolz said:
It's not always the case. Depending on legalities, you could have many units sharing a roof.

For example, in a condo situation you could have 6 dwelling units that could each have a service and their own GES. Each premises could be considered independent, despite their physical dependence on their neighbors for keeping the rain out. :)

Sure, but I am assuming since this is a school it only has one service for both areas.

wbalsam1

Eric J. Palmer said:
We are renovating a school that has a building with a breeze way of 10' in between it. The building has a common roof and slab covering as if it where one building. For grounding perposes and disconnecting means, is there code that validates that this is one building and not 2 seperate buildings?

To me, it does not seem likely that it's still one building, unless its one foundation, and the water and electric utilities seemingly would not all pass thru this breezeway. Sounds like two buildings to me....just a guess, though. :) In other words 1 area demised by an open air breezeway into two areas might actually qualify as two buildings. :confused:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
wbalsam1 said:
To me, it does not seem likely that it's still one building, unless its one foundation, and the water and electric utilities seemingly would not all pass thru this breezeway. Sounds like two buildings to me....just a guess, though. :) In other words 1 area demised by an open air breezeway into two areas might actually qualify as two buildings. :confused:

Not around here, if there is a roof attaching the structures then it would be considered one building (excluding firewall situations)

wbalsam1

Dennis Alwon said:
Not around here, if there is a roof attaching the structures then it would be considered one building (excluding firewall situations)

I'll at least bet that if area "A" of the school is separated from area "B" of the same school in a different area by an open breezeway, Table 302.3.3 of the IBC would require a 2 hour separation of occupancies so as to minimize the communication of fire across the breezeway. A whole lotta building code issues come into play here. Red flags all over....:)

raider1

Staff member
A whole lotta building code issues come into play here.

You are correct, this is a very complicated situation that I don't feel can be properly discussed on an electrical forum due to all the different building code issues that can come into play.

Again my suggestion would be to contact the local building department and see how they are treating the building(s) in question.

Chris

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Chris, this thread will never reach 100 posts with that kind of an attitude.
icon13.gif

:D :D

wbalsam1

raider1 said:
You are correct, this is a very complicated situation that I don't feel can be properly discussed on an electrical forum due to all the different building code issues that can come into play.

Again my suggestion would be to contact the local building department and see how they are treating the building(s) in question.

Chris

Good answer Chris. That's the proper answer to the third sentence in the op's question. Without a definitive answer the "electrical code" questions would be too much speculation for an electrical forum. The electrical code is but one of nearly 1,500 standards referenced from a typical building code. :) Still a good Q though.

raider1

Staff member
Chris, this thread will never reach 100 posts with that kind of an attitude.

I'm sorry I will try to do better next time.:D

This is a good question, but a tought one to answer definitively.

(Personally, I think it is one building, but that is just my opinion.)

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.