Ser 4/0 2/0 Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrancisDoody

This wiring method will be to leave the meter socket and drop 12 inches and enter the dwelling through the siding just above the sill plate. The question is, Is SER cable rated for that type of installation or should you run conduit to a point inside the structure and then transition to SER.
Thanks,
Fran

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
It depends on your local codes. Im my area, we can not run any SE cable exposed on the exterior. I run SEU from meter sockets all the time but I enclose the conductors that are on the exterior in a raceway. Quite often when I'm using 4/0 4/0 2/0, I'll strip the outer jacket off of the cable for ease of getting through the LB in a case like yours. I'm sure that will generate some discussion as to altering a listed cable assembly but my AHJ has no problem with it. As long as the jacket is intact where it exits the raceway, what is the big deal? Also, in my area, we can only run the SE 8' into a structure without an OCPD protecting the service entrance conductors.

FrancisDoody

Only a thought

Only a thought

This panelboard is located 48 feet from the meter socket. The meter socket has a built in 200 amp CB with a bypass lever. I had designed this installation with 2 1/2" PVC from the meter to the interior of the dwelling via an LB. However, an LB really isn't a proper termination point. I feel that you would have to enter a pull box with conduit on one side and a box connector on the other. (8 X 2.5 =20 box) By the way the 200 amp meter socket cost $583.00 plus 6% tax. I saw this test question before and it may relate to Tom's answer about short lenght's of conduit and cable assemblies;

1. Which three of the following conditions apply where Type NM cables are permitted to enter a panelboard
through a nonflexible raceway without the cables being secured to the panelboard? Circle all three that
apply.
A. The raceway shall be exposed.
B. Because the cables are not secured to the enclosure with a fitting, they shall be strapped within 8
inches, measured along the cable sheath, of the outer end of the raceway.
C. Ampacity adjustment factors do not apply unless the raceway is longer than 24 inches.
D. The number of cables installed in the raceway is not limited where the raceway length is not more than
24 inches.
E. The raceway shall be at least 18 inches, but not more than 120 inches long.

Answer: A, C, E NEC 312.5(C)

Last edited:

stickboy1375

Yes, you will not have any problems in Connecticut with exposed SER, I normally just use duct seal to seal around the hole where the SER enters the building.... IF you do choose to sleeve the SER in PVC, 2 1/2" will work quite nicely for you... but I would only run the pvc just into the building, no box or splice...

Last edited:

frogneck77

I have had problems in some towns in CT running exposed SEU or SER out of the bootom of the meter. Therefore I always use PVC if exiting the bottom of the meter. I think it looks a lot neater than exposed SE, and Ive never had an inspector give me a problem because of a lack of connector. In response to the reply mentioning distance from disconnect to panel:never assume a distance for what the code refers to as "Nearest the point of entry".There is no distance mentioned and I was told its up to the discfretion of the AHJ

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You mean like this beautiful installation. It can't be legal it's too ugly.
SteG2-HPIM1349a.jpg

frogneck77

LOL-That first photo is hilarious! Unfortunatly many people take no pride in their work and will accept an installation like that.BTW-1/2 PVC would be nice on the GEC in the 2nd photo

ceknight

frogneck77 said:
LOL-That first photo is hilarious! Unfortunatly many people take no pride in their work and will accept an installation like that.

I can almost assure you that whoever did that installation did take pride in it. That's the real pity. :)

stickboy1375

Just my 2 cents, that LB in the 2nd picture looks like crap.. I'd like to see how they terminated a LB that close to a cabinet... and the only problem I see with the SEU pictures is the extra plywood, and the tad bit too big a hole for the seu and the crap silicon job...

stickboy1375

frogneck77 said:
LOL-That first photo is hilarious! Unfortunatly many people take no pride in their work and will accept an installation like that.BTW-1/2 PVC would be nice on the GEC in the 2nd photo

Why? PVC looks like crap on the side of a building.... why bring so much attention to something so small?

frogneck77

Youre right,the exposed wire looks much better than a piece of conduit running parralel would look. Its all a matter of personal preference. I agree with the observation on the LB-wheres the connector? As far as the exposed SEU,s are concerned, I failed an inspection in Westport,CT for leaving the SEU exposed, therefore I dont take the chance anymore, I also personally prefer things to be parallel, rectilinear, symmetrical,etc.To each his own

Occupation
Inspector
I wish...

I wish...

Dennis Alwon said:
You mean like this beautiful installation. It can't be legal it's too ugly.

SteG2-HPIM1349a.jpg

Dennis: I wish you would have contacted me before you made this post. I could have saved you and the group some headache, see this link :grin:

stickboy1375

I hear you, I do both installs, just depends on the situation, I know my inspectors and I work in the country, so not much need for protection from physical damage IMO... and just to share my opinion, that SEU service does look like garbage, and definitely not something I do and pat myself on the back...:)

Last edited:

frogneck77

I have only been in business 2 yrs, and Envy your position of knowing your inspectors. I work for the first time in new towns and fail inspections for things Ive done for years:Example:Failed inspection for not putting a bushing on 4/0 SEU connector-since when is a bushing required for NM cable?Failed inspection for not using meter main on service where panel was 8 feet away-not nearest entry point to inspector-I fought that one and won. The inspector who failed me initially on that told me I should have checked with him first-Like I have the time to meet with an inspector to go over a simple service change.Ughh-I thought this business would be easier

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
stickboy1375 said:
You mean a pvc reducer used as a connector... :grin:
That is not a reducer. It looks like a chase nipple (no threads) and slips inside a pvc coupling. It is called a box adapter --- you don't need a locknut nor bushings and it gives you a lot more space in the panels. I hardly ever use a pvc connector.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
frogneck77 said:
Example:Failed inspection for not putting a bushing on 4/0 SEU connector-since when is a bushing required for NM cable?
Frogneck-- read art. 300.4(F) -- Insulated bushings-- inspector was correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.