Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Before somebody cries foul, my (contrived) premise for bringing this up is that electricians are dispatched every day, engineers drive cross country now and then, and so forth.

Am I the last one to notice how elaborate Google maps are getting these days? I just was thinking about a trip down to Arkansas in October and noticed they have a picture of almost every intersection between here and there, to show exactly where to turn!

I just think that's pretty neat, and felt compelled to share. Might come in handy for those of us too cheap for GPS. :)

Last edited:

Mule

Ive been told there are contracted planes with automatic cameras flying all over the nations snapping those shots. Yes it is very handy....

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Mule said:
Ive been told there are contracted planes with automatic cameras flying all over the nations snapping those shots. Yes it is very handy....

Actually, if you use Google Earth, you can tell they have some kind of vehicles with 360? cameras mounted on them too. Kinda slower than actually driving through a town, but gives you a nice idea of what they look like. :cool:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
George Stolz said:
Actually, if you use Google Earth, you can tell they have some kind of vehicles with 360? cameras mounted on them too. Kinda slower than actually driving through a town, but gives you a nice idea of what they look like. :cool:

are you talking about the 3 dimensional tool in GE? That stuff is made in a CAD style program by users and plopped down on top of the sat image. You may notice some are more detailed than others, and you can click on them to get the info on who created it, along with detailed information on the building.

stickboy1375

George Stolz said:
I just think that's pretty neat, and felt compelled to share. Might come in handy for those of us too cheap for GPS. :)

A lot of the newer phones have GPS built right in, so its not like you have to be that cheap anymore. :D

celtic

George Stolz said:
Actually, if you use Google Earth, you can tell they have some kind of vehicles with 360? cameras mounted on them too.

This might help too:
2584018127_c2701eaef8_o.jpg

27eba8608acc2df31b054c759b2ec7bb.jpg

The United States Park Police vs. the Google Maps Car San Francisco?s Presidio

:D

celtic

stickboy1375 said:
A lot of the newer phones have GPS built right in, so its not like you have to be that cheap anymore. :D
I think it's more economical to just buy a GPS unit and be done with it vs. paying a monthly fee for all eturnity.

:D

quogueelectric

But in Colorado it would sound like take a left at the moose with brown fur go 3 miles past Eisenhower pass and take a right at the buffalo herd.:smile:

480sparky

brantmacga said:
how do you access the part of GE that display's the images that car takes?

Go to www.google.com

Click on Maps.

Zoom in on the area you want to see.

Click on Street View.

The streets/roads highlighted in blue will be available for Street View.

Google1.jpg

Click on the little orange man, and there ya go!

Google2.jpg

The little orange man has a green pointer under him showing you which direction you are looking......Oh, look...... there's 3E...my local supply house!

Click on the arrows, and you can move up & down the street. You can also pan around the Street View 360?, even up and down, just by holding a click down on the image.

I use it a lot lately to identify my destination before I leave, and even use it to identify potential problems.

360Youth

Just kidding. :wink: Online maps, GPS, smartphones, are all worthy and necesary tools to the trade. If any knows a good link to hooking up an external GPS to HTC Touch for Alltel let me know. I am considering one and have had trouble tracking down the ins and outs. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.