Circuit Breaker Panel Cover Screws *(where to post this?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon456

At an industrial park, I've come across a number of code violations. One of the more common problems is the substitution of the proper circuit breaker panel cover screws with sheet metal screws. It would appear that previous workers had dropped or otherwise lost the OEM panel cover screws and would simply use whatever sheet metal screws they happened to have handy. Very dangerous as the sharp points and self-cutting threads on these replacement screws could easily penetrate the insulation jackets of the wiring inside the panel.

Obviously, I'd like to replace these with the correct screws. But in most cases, the sheet metal screws used were larger than the original OEM screws, so the threaded holes in the panel were enlarged by the sheet metal screws. Is there a common way to repair the holes to accept original screws? I thought about using a nutsert, but I don't think the OEM panel cover screws use standard threads (by size, they appear to be 10-32, but they aren't).

Which brings me to the next question: does anyone know the specs of panel cover screws? The panel I'm currently working on is a Square D panel, but I think all panels use the same type of cover screws.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Jon456

iwire said:
What leads you to believe that using different screws on the panel cover is a violation?

Gosh, I thought I read that somewhere. So it's OK to replace the OEM cover screws (with very fine, not-sharp threads and a dull barrel point) that would be almost impossible to damage/penetrate wire insulation jackets with sheet metal screws (with coarse, sharp-edged threads and either a sharp point or a self-drilling point)? Even without quoting code, I find that hard to believe. Common sense tells me that the latter makes for a potentially dangerous situation.

Nevertheless, I shall endeavour to find if there's a code reference to quote.

480sparky

Whenever I replace an old panel, I always keep the old panel cover screws. I keep 'em in a container in the truck, and always have a supply of all those oddballs.

iwire

Staff member
480sparky said:
Whenever I replace an old panel, I always keep the old panel cover screws. I keep 'em in a container in the truck, and always have a supply of all those oddballs.

Now that is a darn good idea. :cool:

Jon456

480sparky said:

Yup, that's a very good idea. But it doesn't solve my problem. :(

Not only do I not have a stash of old panel cover screws (can these even be purchased seperately?), but even if I had replacements, they will no longer hold as the mounting holes in the panel have been enlarged by the use of the improper sheet metal screws.

Surely, I'm not the first guy here to encounter this problem?

Jon456

SiddMartin said:
drill and tap, problem solved

Ok, but that means using larger screws that are not made specifically for breaker panel covers. I assume you use machine screws for replacements?

Generic machine screws would certainly be better than sheet metal screws, but I think it would be better to use OEM panel cover screws.

480sparky

Jon456 said:
Yup, that's a very good idea. But it doesn't solve my problem. :(

Not only do I not have a stash of old panel cover screws (can these even be purchased seperately?), but even if I had replacements, they will no longer hold as the mounting holes in the panel have been enlarged by the use of the improper sheet metal screws.

Surely, I'm not the first guy here to encounter this problem?

SiddMartin said:
drill and tap, problem solved

There ya go! :smile:

ultramegabob

Jon456 said:
Ok, but that means using larger screws that are not made specifically for breaker panel covers. I assume you use machine screws for replacements?

Generic machine screws would certainly be better than sheet metal screws, but I think it would be better to use OEM panel cover screws.

I dont think anyone will come up with a repair that will satisfy what you want to do, short of welding the holes shut and re-drilling for new OEM panel screws, you would have to replace the tub, there just isnt any magic hole shrinkers that I know of....

Jon456

ultramegabob said:
there just isnt any magic hole shrinkers that I know of....

Well, as I said in my original post, a nutsert would fix the oversized hole problem IF the panel screws were a standard thread. Unfortunately, I don't think they are.

Jon456

splinetto said:
If it is sharp points you dont like, just cut off the pointed end off the sheet metal screw.....

Sheet metal screws have deep, sharp-edged threads too. Those can also cut insulation jackets.

iwire

Staff member
Jon456 said:
Which brings me to the next question: does anyone know the specs of panel cover screws? The panel I'm currently working on is a Square D panel, but I think all panels use the same type of cover screws.

First off there is no standard Panel screw size. I suspect your dealing with a 'load center' if the screws are about 10/32. Short of ording them from the manufacturer your will have a hard time finding large headed screws in that size.

Personally I think your being a bit over the top here. Get some short blunt machine screws and re-tap the cabinet for them.

Or use a 'clip nut' which is what GE and Siemens use on commercial cabinets.

dynasty8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.