Prometric exams....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacksonburgFarmer

I am taking my EC exam in ohio, Prometric administers the exam. Took the exam a month ago and scored 64%, missed by six questions...:mad: :mad: I am getting ready to take the test again, question. Do they use the same test, same questions in different order, or is it all together different??? Just currious what to expect when i retest....any ideas appreciated....

C3PO

I am not 100% sure but I think the questions are randomly picked from a pool of questions. So you might get a few of the same questions but most, if not all, will be different.

Good Luck!

480sparky

Unless things have changed when I took the test years ago, six more correct answers added to 64% is still a long way from passing.

I've heard the questions are weighted. In other words, "A 30-unit apartment building with (this, this and this) in each unit and a house panel with (this, this and this). Calculate the load on the service neutral." has more weight than "What color is the grounding wire?"

They also can change a question quite easily. For instance, instead of 30 units, the above example could be 40 or 25 on the next test.

JacksonburgFarmer

The results sheet i recived after the test showed the breakout of questions. 9 sections, with a total of 100 questions, 70% to pass....was just wondering if the same type of question, with different values would be asked if you understand what i am saying...

MAK

Don't you need to get a certain # of questions correct per section? In other words if you missed 6 questions all from the same section wouldn't you have to only retest for that section? I thought that was how it worked.

ce2two

ce2two

Correct me if i'm wrong ,about year or so ago, i was told that are about 1500 possible questions ,that prometrics could choose from ,for the state cert. test ,i've been studying ,memorizing sections in the code i hate to fail and waste money to re-take the test..........i've studied the 1999 code in depth for 8 months....i'm almost ready to take the big one...........any advice in particular would be nice??????????

sgr1

I have taking two master exams, one in Texas, one in Arkansas,
this year and they where both based on the 2005 Code. You need to make sure which Code book year they are testing on. That by its self could cause you to fail. I failed the first time through on the Texas test I just flat run out of time. What I did the second time was acted like I was out of time to begin with. I had 20 minutes left to go over stuff the second time. All 3 test only had one BIG calculation skip it and do it last if you have time. I hope this helps Good Luck

sgeers

480sparky said:
Unless things have changed when I took the test years ago, six more correct answers added to 64% is still a long way from passing.

I've heard the questions are weighted. In other words, "A 30-unit apartment building with (this, this and this) in each unit and a house panel with (this, this and this). Calculate the load on the service neutral." has more weight than "What color is the grounding wire?"

From the prometric site-

All exams consist of multiple-choice questions with all questions weighted
equally. Some questions may require the use of arithmetic and/or simple
algebra. Some questions may refer to a figure drawing, table or chart located
either in the examination booklet or in the Code book.

480sparky

sgeers said:
From the prometric site-

All exams consist of multiple-choice questions with all questions weighted
equally. Some questions may require the use of arithmetic and/or simple
algebra. Some questions may refer to a figure drawing, table or chart located
either in the examination booklet or in the Code book.

When I took the test, there was no such thing as a web site. :wink:

jimmyglen said:
does anyone know if you can use the NEC handbook for testing?

sorry if this is a dumb question?

Never known it to be allowed. NEC with no notes, Tom Henry stuff, etc in it, 4-function calculator, and American Electricians Handbook by Croft is all. No Uglys, no programmable calculators either.

Mike Lang

Sure you can use the Code book... how else can you remember all that stuff ( tables, cross sectional sizes, box dimensions, etc.) I'm taking my test on monday which is also given by prometrics. They will give you a different test but some answers will certainly still be on this one that were also on your last test. I know here in NJ they are big on grounding and bonding on this test. As far as taking parts over this is how it works here in NJ. There are 3 parts Electrical, Fire alarm and security, and business and law. If you pass any of the 3 you do not have to take them over. Although I heard that they are trying to change that. Prometrics is a business and they want you back to take it again so they can make more money. Also stay sharp they try to trick you and get you messed up on which table you are using and stuff like that.

in NJ you can't use your own code book with notes in it so you have to pay $50 or 60 to use one of theirs

hillbilly

ce2two said:
Correct me if i'm wrong ,about year or so ago, i was told that are about 1500 possible questions ,that prometrics could choose from ,for the state cert. test ,i've been studying ,memorizing sections in the code i hate to fail and waste money to re-take the test..........i've studied the 1999 code in depth for 8 months....i'm almost ready to take the big one...........any advice in particular would be nice??????????

My advice is to make sure that you have everything that's required to sit for the exam before you leave home.....you don't want any suprises when you get there.
Arrive early so you don't have to rush.
Be calm and read the questions carefully.
Have fun...you know the material...so just answer the questions.:smile:

Most of the questions are loaded with irrevelant information to try and confuse you....so look for the specific question being asked and disregard the rest.
You need to apply a edited version Charlie's Rule to the questions:smile:

If you have a problem with a question, simply mark it and come back to it later.....after you've answered all that you're sure of, go back and try them again.
If the answer doesn't come to you pretty quickly the second time.... give your best guess.
Wrong answers don't count against your score....and you may get lucky.
Don't spent too much time on any particular one.

I've taken 3 seperate (EC) licensing exams and passed all the first time.
I'm not that smart, but I'm a good reader...this is important.

Good luck
steve

In my State....

In my State....

jimmyglen said:
does anyone know if you can use the NEC handbook for testing?

sorry if this is a dumb question?

In my state the State Fire Marshall's office administers the test..any electicial test and I asked them this question.They replied that you could use any reference material ,short of test prep books and the like. The handbook was included in that. Hope that helps.

Just took it

Just took it

I just took the Prometric exam. Once in May, scored 71%. A second time in July, scored 80%. The tests were different but equally as difficult. All we could take was our 2005 code book (3" 5-ring Tom Henry (OOPS I said the TH word! Sorry Mr. Holt.) binder with tabs is OK) and a calculator. They didn't really do a whole lot of inspecting what you had. BUT- I'M under the impression that each test site might have it's own little quirks.

PS- I'm a little discouraged though. Taking and passing the test doesn't hold water in all counties/cities/municipalities. Some accept it and some accept it if you can show documented time on the job. IE 6 years in one case. I've been doing electrical off and on since 1989........ But I can't prove it. Blah, blah, blah. That's my problem, not yours:cool:

BEST OF LUCK!!

spoon

Sorry for the thread resurrection. :smile:

I just took my General Journeyman exam at Prometric here in California. I was only required to bring a picture identification, that's it. The test center provided me with the basic NEC book, basic calculator, pencils and scratch paper, and paper clips. The test was administered on a computer. 100 questions, equally weighted, but divided into sections, with a 5 minute break right in the middle. 4 hour time limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.