Problems with a well; suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
We have a well here on the farm that quit working this morning. The end was blown off the start capacitor. It serves a couple of houses, and my uncle told me their water was coming out slower than usual before it quit working.

I just replaced the start capacitor 6/mo ago, and had probably replaced it again 10/mo prior to that.

This well is probably 5-6 years old, and i've replaced start capacitors at least 8 times. Usually they went out after a lighting storm.

The one thing I don't know is how often the pump is cycling on and off. I'll know later I guess when they get back with a new cap; if it is cycling on and off repeatedly, I think I can take it from there, but if not, what else should I be thinking about as far as troubleshooting?

Resistance was 4.1 between ground and the start lead; OL between all other conductors.

Its 1HP btw.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i don't know who made it. its currently underground. i just replaced the start capacitor and it did not work. looks like we'll have to put a new pump in next week.

ceb58

Is the well casing pvc or steel? I know this my be a redundant question but did you replace the cap. with the same range MFD?

ItsHot

lightning/ bad foot valve

lightning/ bad foot valve

Sounds like a lightning strike and the cycling of motor usually is a bad or wede open foot valve, or a hole in a line and you are losing pressure.:smile:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
A defective bladder tank will also cause frequent cycling called waterlogging. With the pump off, relieve the water pressure on the system, take a tire gauge and check the pressure at the thing that looks like a tire valve at the top of the tank. The pressure should be around two pounds below what the cut-in pressure is on the pressure switch. If it is low add air, if it is completely out, the bladder more than likely has failed and the entire tank will need to be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.