408.36(D) - back-fed plug-in type breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbaumer

Hi all. I have a generator/utility main branch mounted breaker setup with a Square D QO2DTI interlock on a subpanel so as to prevent closing both the utility and generator mains together. It has been in place many years.

Both the utility main and the generator main are back-fed of course.

A friend of mine wants me to install a similar set-up for him.

I was looking through the code to make sure this was still OK and remembered reading about 100A and larger main breakers needing to be bolt-in, not stab-in. I see in 408.36(D) back-fed devices need to be "secured in place by an additional fastener...".

Does Square D make a kit or device for a QO loadcenter for back-fed branch devices?

I know there are other solutions for the utility/generator main out there and that is not my question. The QO2DTI interlock is a simple and cheap solution and is why I was looking at this. I just want to know how to comply with 408.36(D) and still use a QO loadcenter with stab-ins, if it is possible.

Thanks.

bbaumer

Also, would the loadcenter cover count as an additional method of securing in place? Can't move the breakers with the cover on.

iwire

Staff member
bbaumer said:
Does Square D make a kit or device for a QO loadcenter for back-fed branch devices?.

Yes Square D makes a nice generator interlock kit that includes hardware to fasten the back fed breaker.

bbaumer said:
Also, would the loadcenter cover count as an additional method of securing in place? Can't move the breakers with the cover on.

No

bbaumer

iwire said:
Yes Square D makes a nice generator interlock kit that includes hardware to fasten the back fed breaker.

No

the only kit I am familiar with is the QO2DTI and I don't think it secures the breakers.

Do you know a part number?

thanks,
bbaumer

iwire

Staff member
The cut sheet I linked to has the model numbers and shows the breaker retainer.

I have only installed one but I was quite impressed with the easy installation and the quality of the parts.

They even send a metal template for drilling the holes in the panel cover.

Last edited:

mdshunk

bbaumer said:
the only kit I am familiar with is the QO2DTI and I don't think it secures the breakers.

Do you know a part number?

thanks,
bbaumer
This is the one I use, and it does secure the breakers:

P1010181.jpg

P1010176.jpg

mdshunk

peter d said:
That's terrible...that all needs to be in pipe. :roll: ;)
It's not all my work, but you do the best with what you've got. It's not done either in that pic. I did the low stuff in pipe, so give me a break. :smile:

peter d

mdshunk said:
It's not all my work, but you do the best with what you've got. It's not done either in that pic. I did the low stuff in pipe, so give me a break. :smile:

Are you kidding me? I couldn't care less what wiring method you use...use NM cable if you want! :D

mdshunk

peter d said:
Are you kidding me? I couldn't care less what wiring method you use...use NM cable if you want! :D
All right, that does it! You're gonna fool around and make me post a picture of the generator "inlet".

P1010177.jpg

stickboy1375

mdshunk said:
All right, that does it! You're gonna fool around and make me post a picture of the generator "inlet".

P1010177.jpg

I don't think I would have done that only to protect my self from some jacka$$ using a generator indoors. yeah I know, can't protect all of them. But lawyers are something these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.