Safety policy...HELP....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacksonburgFarmer

Ok...hiring a apprentice this week....need to implement a safety policy, set down to write one, and relized that I could use some help...did a search on this site, and couldnt find a policy. Also could use help wording a dress code. Any suggestions appreciated.

quogueelectric

JacksonburgFarmer said:
Ok...hiring a apprentice this week....need to implement a safety policy, set down to write one, and relized that I could use some help...did a search on this site, and couldnt find a policy. Also could use help wording a dress code. Any suggestions appreciated.
Most companies have standard company policy sheets they give you upon hire which spell out safety and company policy.

mdshunk

JacksonburgFarmer said:
Also could use help wording a dress code.
You might consider having something like this included:

"Pants may not be baggy or sag away from the body. Crotch of pants must fit at the natural crotch. Bottom of pants may not extend past the bottom of the shoe or boot. Pants must be worn at the natural waist. Belts are not expressly required, however, if necessary a belt or suspenders will need to be worn to keep pants at the natural waist to assure compliance with this section. Belts should not extend more than 6" from buckle, and suspenders must be of a color that co-ordinates with the uniform colors (blue, black, grey)."

jmsbrush

If any one is interested I have a 17 page Safety Manuel that was given to me by email by an insurance bud of mine. Someone will have to show me how to have it posted on here.

cadpoint

What's wrong with your Voice, bottom line if your hired, you will not be in any hot can at any time!

You will be a representative of my company, I expect you to carry yourself accordingly. If you have any problems with following an order, or a suggestive criticism "I need to know Now". (Their answer) ((your long stare))..

I believe you've been around the block enough to know what U need is a no compete clause... That they will not inquiry or engage any of your customers / clients or secondary friends of the same for a period of one year after employment.

JacksonburgFarmer

The safety manual would be nice to see.

Cadpoint, I agree that whatever I say will be the policy. Have had a apprentice before, learned then I needed to have stuff in writing. :mad: I had some stuff, company policy, some dress code, ect., but I need to get more "official".

I enjoy working by myself, but....running 2 1/2" GRC by myself up the side of a grain leg, and across a catwalk 150' in the air, SUCKS!!

Thank you for reminding my of the no compete clause...hadnt thought of that with this guy, first year, green as grass....BUT....someday...down the road...that will be needed. Might as well add it now, you never know:roll:

I, as always, appreciate the wealth of knowlege located Here!!:D

480sparky

There are also companies who specialize the producing safety policies for all sizes of business, from 2-man shops to Microsoft.

mattsilkwood

mdshunk said:
You might consider having something like this included:

"Pants may not be baggy or sag away from the body. Crotch of pants must fit at the natural crotch. Bottom of pants may not extend past the bottom of the shoe or boot. Pants must be worn at the natural waist. Belts are not expressly required, however, if necessary a belt or suspenders will need to be worn to keep pants at the natural waist to assure compliance with this section. Belts should not extend more than 6" from buckle, and suspenders must be of a color that co-ordinates with the uniform colors (blue, black, grey)."
you mean i wouldnt get the job if i showed up with my scooby doo suspenders

mdshunk

mattsilkwood said:
you mean i wouldnt get the job if i showed up with my scooby doo suspenders
No, I just pictured some guy in a nice pressed uniform, wearing the rainbow suspenders from Mork and Mindy. I was trying to not expressly require a belt, because it bugs some guys to wear a belt, and they can still look neat without one. Heavier guys and Mennonite guys sometimes prefer suspenders. I just wanted things to be neat, whatever the case. Belt or no belt, suspenders or not, you must be neat.

peter d

mdshunk said:
I just wanted things to be neat, whatever the case. Belt or no belt, suspenders or not, you must be neat.

I always wear the Carhartt heavy duty pants, which I think look fairly professional. The baggy jeans that you speak of certainly don't.

mdshunk

Your insurance man probably has cookie-cutter safety manuals. I know I've gotten a few generic templates over time from insurance companies. You can also google: employee safety manual filetype:pdf and that will bring up literally millions of hits. Add in the qualifier site:.gov to your search, and that will limit the search to the government sites, which will be free for you to ripoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.