Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Me.
HoltBlueDot.jpg

76nemo

I haven't viewed Ken's web page in a couple of months, but I will say it was pretty darned impressive when I saw it last!!!!! I think he told me he did it all himself. I figured he hired somebody for it. Excellent advertisement!!!!!!

For those of you considering having a webpage, take a look at Ken's site and see for yourself just how good it looks.

Again, nicely done partner:wink:

zog

I think a webpage is vital today for any business, this generation only knows how to look for things using the www (Generally speaking), and if you dont have a website you dont exist in some peoples minds.

iwire

Staff member
76nemo said:
I haven't viewed Ken's web page in a couple of months, but I will say it was pretty darned impressive when I saw it last!!!!!

It is. :cool:

It is one of the best EC web sites I have seen. Very impressive. :grin:

zog said:
I think a webpage is vital today for any business,

For the company I work for it is of little value. We work for GCs and chain stores. We do not advertise and I don't think we have any yellow page ads.

480sparky

76nemo said:
I haven't viewed Ken's web page in a couple of months, but I will say it was pretty darned impressive when I saw it last!!!!! I think he told me he did it all himself. I figured he hired somebody for it. Excellent advertisement!!!!!!

For those of you considering having a webpage, take a look at Ken's site and see for yourself just how good it looks.

Again, nicely done partner:wink:

I can't take all the credit. Mine was originally set up by a pro designer, based on phone calls and emails between us. They designed it, published it and maintain the URL address. They set up 6 original pages (home, about us, project gallery w/6 images, Save-A-Call and Checklist) and I added the others.

Once I learned how to log in as administrator, making changes was pretty intuitive.

When I set it up, having a designer was about the only way to go, short of becoming a node and an expert in HTML. Today, you can use drop-and-drag HTML editors, and pay someone 10 bucks a year to host your site and register the domain name. And using free downloaded templates make it easier than ever to make a nice, professional-looking site.

I will give everyone a couple bits of advice: 1. Keep your domain name as simple as possible. If you're wanting people to remember it, keep in mind that www. mikeholt . com is easier to remember than www. mikeholtsprofessionalelectricalwebsite .com, or something screwy like www. h4berrsdelco2llc .com.

2. Once you set up a site (and a domain name), be sure to keep it. There's folks out there called cyber-squatters who have computers sitting at home running 24-7 searching for domain names that aren't used any more. They take that name, register it themselves and then post it for sale. They hope the previous user will fork over mucho dinero to get their domain name back. I've seen it happen with a couple builders I work with.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
480sparky said:
Just put it in your profile.
Well, waddya know; it's already there! PJ's daughter put it together for us. You'll like some of the pix. Our excuse, um, is that it's, um, a work in progress. Yeah, that's it! A work in progress, yeah.

If you go to my site, and add ' /old ' to the URL, you'll see the first one we did. I learned HTML in a couple of hours, and made it in about two days with raw code, with PJ's expertise on the graphics.

zog

iwire said:
It is. :cool:

It is one of the best EC web sites I have seen. Very impressive. :grin:

For the company I work for it is of little value. We work for GCs and chain stores. We do not advertise and I don't think we have any yellow page ads.

But do you have one? How do you know a new GC in the area isnt looking for a EC to work with, or a new facillity is being built by a private company that needs a EC?

bbaumer

Not an EC, but I do have my own site.

My wife set up the account and registered the domain name and I built all the pages myself. There is a link to it in my profile.

We used realwebhost.com. Don't recall the costs now but it is pretty cheap. Something like $15 or $20 per year for the domain name, $15 or $20 per month to host the site and a one time fee of maybe $30 for their web builder software. These are costs for a low-end package but it is all I needed since I don't have any online store or shopping or hosting a discussion forum etc.

I just used one of their many templates to start with and customized it from there. It was pretty easy and I had zero web page building experience before hand.

Still working on it little by little as time allows but the basic site is up and running.

Last edited:

480sparky

If all you need is 4 or 5 pages on a site, you can download free HTML editors and free templates and within an hour or so have a respectable-looking site. Domain-name registration may can be had for $10 a year, and hosting for 3 or 4 buck a month. It's something I've done for a couple non-profit organizations, as well as my family tree is on-line.

With prices like that, how can anyone not afford to have a presence on the World Wide Wait?

g@friendly

Hello,
You have to have a web site today or you are not in the game. Even if you try to do simple advertising, they build you a page so they can send people to.
As far as building it yourself or a pro it depend on what type of company you have. As long as you have something that is great.

iwire

Staff member
zog said:
But do you have one?

Personally I do not.

The company actually does, it has been 'coming soon' for at least a year and a half.

How do you know a new GC in the area isnt looking for a EC to work with, or a new facility is being built by a private company that needs a EC?

Anythings possible but I don't work for a Mom and Pop shop. There is a whole sales department and I assume they know who they are reaching out for. :smile:

zog

iwire said:
Anythings possible but I don't work for a Mom and Pop shop. There is a whole sales department and I assume they know who they are reaching out for. :smile:

Even more the reason to have one, care to share the website?

Status
Not open for further replies.